Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

wiring

I need help with some wiring. I have a wire coming from my panel going to a box, and a wire going from the box to another wire. I have another wire going from the box to my light and I have another wire going to my switch all from the same box. How do I attach all the wires. I have 4 black and 4 white. Please help!!!

wire girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #2

wiring

Wire girl.. I just joined, but felt like I should at least post a message urging you to PLEASE don't mess with the wires until you at LEAST get a handle on the black/white wire meaning! Not trying to be disrespectful, and I REALLY admire you for tackling the unknown, but you can get hurt, killed and/or cause a fire if you don't have a handle on the basics!

Maybe get someone do do what you're trying to do and watch/ask questions? I just want you around to ask questions in the future!

In house wiring (usually), a black wire is 'hot' or the 'power' wire, white is the 'neutral' wire, and green is the 'ground' wire. BUT you should know how to use and always use a voltmeter to know for SURE on the circuits in question. That's because not every circuit was wired by someone who follows rules! And, there are exceptions to this color use when a switch is involved.

I'll let a pro here tackle a genuine answer to your question, I just freaked out at the thought of you asking, not getting a quick reply, and then lying on the floor after being electrocuted.

Last edited by JD4x4; 09-27-2009 at 04:58 PM.
JD4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Electrician

wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire girl View Post
I need help with some wiring. I have a wire coming from my panel going to a box, and a wire going from the box to another wire.
I am a little confused about this, did you mean to say a wire going from the box to another box.

Wire 1-Feed from panel
Wire 2-Feed from box to box
Wire 3-Light
Wire 4-Switch

Joint 1
Black Wire 1, Black Wire 2, White wire 4

Joint 2
White wire 1, white wire 2, white wire 3

Joint 3
Black wire 4, black wire 3

Make sure the power is off and double check it before attempting this.. If you have any fears off electricy or uncertany please call an electrician or get one to check your work before turning it back on.

Darren
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

wiring

If the "wire going from the box to another wire" is to feed other stuff downstream, then darrens post is exactly correct.

All the bare grounds tie together. Yellow wirenuts will work here. Reds or tans are OK too.

Mark the white going to the switch, so it doesn't get mistaken for a neutral. Red tape or a red felt-tip marker will work. Mark it at both ends.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #5

wiring

Here's my quick stab at what you might have, and what's been mentioned.
I left out ground (green) wires, and wire nuts but hopefully you'll recognize where they go.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Electrician

wiring

Jd that looks good the only thing is the switch would get the constant hot on the white and the switch power would go on the black.

Back on black is a good way to remember. If you do it this way you won't end up with two whites at your light.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

wiring

Thanks Darren. I always thought that the power to the switch should be black, but I got that from my Dad and was reinforced by our old house (which I guess he did a lot of the work on!). I freely admit I'm no expert at anything other than automotive wiring, and tend to read the 'code' only when I need to go past basic circuits.

See what I meant in my first post, Wire girl??

I changed the diagram.

Last edited by JD4x4; 09-27-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Changed diagram as per Darren's message
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

wiring

JD4X4.,

Let me add to Darren's commet related to one white conductor I know he meniton remarked the white conductor as hot you can use marker or tape normally I used either red or bleu marker or tape depending what I use on.

That way you don't get mixed up with switch loop if you get the remarked white conductor in wrong spot { this is common cupit if not carefull with it.}

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote