Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Share |

wiring 4 way switch with 2 dimmer zones

I am remodeling my basement and I have a dilema with the wiring. Upstairs I have a switch that can turn on/off the basement lights. Downstairs i currently have a switch that can turn off/on the lights, I guess they both are 3 way switches.

My problem is that I want to install two different zones of dim-able lighting downstairs, but want the upstairs light-switch to turn on both zones. Once downstairs I can have the option of dimming each zone.

How would I go about wiring this?

Last edited by philly529; 02-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

You would wire the light as two zones taking the power feed from the threeway switches. You would need to break the fixtures into two strings and get the power feed to each string from the threeways. One of the strings should be OK since there is a feed to the fixtures already. then install normal single pole dimmers on the two strings.
Do you know how the cables are currently connecting everything together. If you give us that info I can make some recommendations as to how I would do it. Will the two dimmers be in the same box or in different locations in the basement?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You would wire the light as two zones taking the power feed from the threeway switches. You would need to break the fixtures into two strings and get the power feed to each string from the threeways. One of the strings should be OK since there is a feed to the fixtures already. then install normal single pole dimmers on the two strings.
Do you know how the cables are currently connecting everything together. If you give us that info I can make some recommendations as to how I would do it. Will the two dimmers be in the same box or in different locations in the basement?

Power currently comes in through the light switch downstairs, wires then go to the light switch upstairs, from there the wires go to the to lights in stairwell leading down to basement and then to basement lights. I would like the dimmers to be in the same box if possible.

Last edited by philly529; 02-22-2010 at 12:18 PM.
philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Never mind, hit submit too late.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #5

Cables for the two zones (or strings) of lights have to be run from the box with the dimmers. Your present setup of power to the lights run from the upstairs box won't work.

Also:

Scenario 1. The upstairs switch is a primary or master switch that feeds power to both dimmers downstairs. The 3 way switch already up there can stay, feeding power using one of the travelers; the other traveler is not used. If the upstairs switch is off, the dimmers do not act as 3 way and will not turn the lights on.

Scenario 2. Upstairs has one primary 3 way switch. Downstairs has one primary 3 way switch and also the two dimmers (3 gang box). This permist either location to turn on the lights although dimming action only works from downstairs.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #6

This senario will put the dimmers in the same box as the downstairs switch.

Assume you do not want the lights in the stairwell to dim.

From the first light that you want dimmed in the chain run a 14/2 cable to the switch box.
From the fist light of the second group you want dimmed, run a 14/2 cable to the swtich box.
At the first light of the first group
Disconnect black from previous undimmed stairwell light.
Connect to white of new 14/2 cable. Remark white with tape or marker
Connect black from14/2 to fixture you want dimmed black.

At first light of second group.
Disconnect black and white feeding from first group of lights. Cap off wires separately.
Connect new cable from dimmer to black and white feeding first fixture and rest of second group.

At switch box.
Connect white from first group of lights to one terminal on each dimmer. Remark white with tape or marker.
Connect black to second terminal on one dimmer.
Connect 14/2 black from second group of lights to second terminal on second dimmer.
Connect 2nd 14/2 white to the power white bunch feeding into switch box.

Now the three ways control everything on or off.
One dimmer will control first group of lights.
Second dimmer will control second group of lights.

Last edited by joed; 02-22-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
joed is offline   Reply With Quote