Wiring A 4 Pole Motor To A Dpdt Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring a 4 pole motor to a dpdt switch

I have wired many motors in my life but this is kicking my butt. The parkinsons doesn't help either. The motor is a 1/6 hp G.E. 120vac single phase 4 lead blk, red, and directional blue,yel. the switch is a Carling heavy duty DPDT. I have soldered red, blk to the bottom 2 terminals-grn , wht to the middle terminals. I can get it to reverse but at the off middle position (on-off-on) it continues to run with a jerky movement.
Please give me your thoughts on this one as I really need to get it going as I have already mounted it to a reduction gear box for this project.My cognitive thinking is going rather fast.
thanks, hatch

Advertisement

Last edited by hatch427; 05-02-2012 at 02:11 AM.
hatch427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Test the motor without the switch to make sure it runs, runs in both directions and turns off when the power is removed. Once you are certain your motor is good you can check the switch.
Using an meter on continuity setting find each pole and the common. The power is connected to the common. (Middle terminal). Neutral does not get connected to the switch. It is connected directly to the motors neutral.
Sounds like you have both directional wires connected to the same pole? You did say both on bottom? Right.
So you bring the power lead to the switch common (middle) and jump to the opposite common terminal. (middle opposite side). Then connect each directional wire to the corresponding switch terminal. (top or bottom left and right) I think it should be top and bottom. Different sides? That is why you must check the switch and verify what each terminal is. Both wires on the bottom or top sounds wrong.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

OK, checked motor and it reverses and runs good. Here is the switch wiring: From top to bottom top 1&2 not wired.
switch up- 4 grn to 6 red
" " 3 wht to 5 blk & 2

switch down- 3 wht to 6 red & 1
" " 4 grn to 5 blk

I didn't understand your statement to wire to coresponding terminals. I know it's my fault so bear with me if you will.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Imagine you were going to manually change the wiring to reverse the motor.

How is the wiring done for forward motion? (describe)

How is the wiring done for reverse motion?

Have you identified the two "common" terminals on the switch and which of the other terminals goes with each common terminal, with no wires attached?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 180

hmm last time i had wired a single phase reversible motor, it was on a 3pdt switch to make it forward-stop-reverse
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #6

Allanj here is the wiring for ccw rotation. Line blk bottom & red top . Directional leads are blu & yel. Yel is connected to line blk. blu not connected.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

It seems you have never ever wired up any motors before. This is very easy to do. Forward (wire) on one pole with hot and reverse (wire) on other pole with same hot. Simple. Easy.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

J.V. you are rude,crude and socially unacceptable. I stated i have Parkinsons and my cognitive thinging has gone south. I am ashamed to see you are from SC! Maybe you could move back up north where i am sure you came from.'

I gave you all the wire colors, why didn't you just give the hook up if you are so damn smart.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch427 View Post
J.V. you are rude,crude and socially unacceptable. I stated i have Parkinson's and my cognitive thinking has gone south. I am ashamed to see you are from SC! Maybe you could move back up north where i am sure you came from.'
I gave you all the wire colors, why didn't you just give the hook up if you are so damn smart.
First off, if you had not bragged about your wiring skills I would have been more helpful. You started this thread telling the forum you had done this before. You have not.
Why don't you post a scan of what you have drawn as of this date? This is how its done. You draw it out and make sure it works on paper. Then you connect the switch to the motor.
While I am sorry to hear about your disability, you do not deserve any more help here.
Hire an electrician.

Last edited by J. V.; 05-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by afci View Post
You can't reverse a single phase motor while it's running. Secondly, you need 3 poles to reverse a single phase motor. Two poles reverse the start winding and the third pole disconnects the run winding. Go to the following page and click the link to "Forward/Reverse Control of a Single Phase Motor". Codemath.com The diagram has a centrifugal switch, but you should get the idea. With the set-up you have, the off position only turns off the start winding.

I think this domain name is still available: http://www.flamewar.com
This is not true. Single phase motors can be reversed. He is reversing it by wiring it for opposite direction.
He has four wires and a four wire single phase motor can be run in both directions. CCW and CW.
You are correct it should not be reversed while running. But it can be
done.
Not all single phase motors have a start winding or caps. The motor he has use leads 1-4-5-8. Each one of those numbers has a color associated with it. He posted colors above.
It is standard NEMA color code.
To reverse his motor, all he has to do is interchange leads 5 & 8.
See wiring diagram 356693. Here is the link. http://apps.motorboss.com/connections/356693.pdf

One note. I did not want to make the OP mad or hurt his feelings. I actually planned to draw it for him with a new software program I payed for. But since he was so rude in his last post, he can look for help somewhere else.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

JV, I was not as rude as to call you a liar like you did me! But, a kind answer turns away wrath, so I am sorry for my responce to your post. You really should take the time to read a few articals on dementia. It robs you of much of your education and experience. I wasn't bragging at all as you said, just sharing a little info about my situation. BTW, I hooked the motor to the switch as you said and the motor just hummed and started smoking. I pulled the plug and quit with it. Maybe I'll try again latter.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
JV, I was not as rude as to call you a liar like you did me! But, a kind answer turns away wrath, so I am sorry for my responce to your post. You really should take the time to read a few articals on dementia. It robs you of much of your education and experience. I wasn't bragging at all as you said, just sharing a little info about my situation. BTW, I hooked the motor to the switch as you said and the motor just hummed and started smoking. I pulled the plug and quit with it. Maybe I'll try again latter.
Lets not continue the name calling. I saw you have an engineering background so I can feel your loss. I too have memory problems and have to work very hard to keep myself current. I had to retire 6 years ago due to health problems myself. I am no "spring chicken" either as they say.

I am concerned as you mentioned the motor "smoked". If smoke came out of the motor, it is ruined.
I tried to send you a PM. You must not have those permissions yet on this forum.
Why not send me a PM, and I will give you my email address. Then together we can figure this out. We need to address the motor first, since you said it smoked. So PM me and we can get started.
John
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #13

Thank you John. afci is right about the dpdt switch not cutting off the run windings because I was reading 35V on each lead in the off position. Anyway, the windings are shorted but I have a neighbor who rewinds motors and he is gonna fix me up. When I get it back, if you are still interested I'll give you a shout. I don't know when they will let me PM. O, i am 63 so you are a spring chicken to me.
I was going to use this motor to make a stair lift but another neighbor brought a slighlly used lift over to me for free and it works perfect and it has every thing but the mounting brackets. I have the best neighbors anyone could have! Now that i have found this forum, I think I can start doing some of the things i used to do. Thanks again,
Henry
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you John. afci is right about the dpdt switch not cutting off the run windings because I was reading 35V on each lead in the off position. Anyway, the windings are shorted but I have a neighbor who rewinds motors and he is gonna fix me up. When I get it back, if you are still interested I'll give you a shout. I don't know when they will let me PM. O, i am 63 so you are a spring chicken to me.
I was going to use this motor to make a stair lift but another neighbor brought a slighlly used lift over to me for free and it works perfect and it has every thing but the mounting brackets. I have the best neighbors anyone could have! Now that i have found this forum, I think I can start doing some of the things i used to do. Thanks again,
Henry
Henry. Glad to hear you have help. Sorry about the motor. If your neighbor rewinds motors, he works in a motor shop. I used to work in one myself.
To bad you did not consult him first as this motor would not be ruined now. Should you decide for any reason to try and do this again, get this guy involved. Give him the motor and the switch and ask him to connect it for you. If he does not know how, there is someone in his shop that does. This is what they do. They specifically work with motors and the equipment associated with motors. A motor shop could have had this switch connected in no time and with no chance of hurting the motor.

It is my pleasure to meet you. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance. I will do my absolute best to help.
Oh, I am from South Florida. Not from up north. I have been here for 20 years.

Advertisement