Wiring A 4 Gang Switch Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 139

wiring a 4 gang switch box

I have four sets of lights coming into a 4 gang box with one power source coming into the box. This is a 15 amp line and all wires are 14/2. Each switch is a Lutron MRF2-6CL-IV.

My question is about how to wire the lines to the switches. Here's what I'm thinking. Is this right? If not, what is?

I'm thinking all the white wires should get nutted together.

I'm thinking all the ground wires should get nutted together.

I'm thinking the black wire of my power source line should be pigtailed to four other black wires that feed each of the four switches.

I'm thinking each of the black lines of the wires coming from each set of lights should get connected to one of the switches.

Is that correct? Is it sufficient? I'm thinking it may be correct, but insufficient.

I'm thinking the ground wires need to be connected to the switch's ground connector; however, is that all the ground wires to one switch or is it all the ground wires pigtailed to each of the four switches?

I'm also thinking the white neutral wires need to be connected to the switches??? Hmmmm....

I'm not sure. Thank you for considering these questions.

Advertisement

aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumanpj View Post
I have four sets of lights coming into a 4 gang box with one power source coming into the box. This is a 15 amp line and all wires are 14/2. Each switch is a Lutron MRF2-6CL-IV.

My question is about how to wire the lines to the switches. Here's what I'm thinking. Is this right? If not, what is?

I'm thinking all the white wires should get nutted together. Correct. However if the dimmers that you are planning to install require a neutral, you would also need to have four white neutral pigtails.

I'm thinking all the ground wires should get nutted together.Yes, but you also need four ground pigtails to connect to each switch if this is a plastic box. If this is a metal box, you could use self grounding wall switches and the metal box would also need to be grounded.

I'm thinking the black wire of my power source line should be pigtailed to four other black wires that feed each of the four switches. Correct.

I'm thinking each of the black lines of the wires coming from each set of lights should get connected to one of the switches. Correct.

Is that correct? Is it sufficient? I'm thinking it may be correct, but insufficient.

I'm thinking the ground wires need to be connected to the switch's ground connector; however, is that all the ground wires to one switch or is it all the ground wires pigtailed to each of the four switches? All grounds spliced together and one ground wire pigtail to each switch.

I'm also thinking the white neutral wires need to be connected to the switches??? Hmmmm.... Only if you are using a timer or other lighting control that requires a neutral to operate. A normal wall switch does not require a neutral. I could not tell from the link that you provided whether or not the particular Lutron Maestro dimmer that you plan to use requires a neutral or not.

I'm not sure. Thank you for considering these questions.
You're welcome.

John Grabowski

Advertisement

MrElectricianTV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

This is a great help, John. Thank you very much. Here is the instruction sheet on the switch. Maybe it helps to create some advice on the neutral wires: https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/lutron...stallation.pdf

Again, thank you!
Phil
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,130

If its a metal box, one of the bare grounds ( jumper) must be connected to the box.
There is a threaded hole (10/32) for the screw in metal boxes.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
This is a great help, John. Thank you very much. Here is the instruction sheet on the switch. Maybe it helps to create some advice on the neutral wires: https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/lutron...stallation.pdf

Again, thank you!
Phil
*That's a pretty fancy dimmer system. I saw no requirement for a neutral conductor for this particular dimmer. I suggest that you read the "Important Notes" at the top of the page. Note #1 mentions what types of lights to not use with this dimmer. If you will be using incandescent or halogen bulbs you should have satisfactory results with the dimmer. Lutron has an online list of LED bulbs that they have tested and approved for use with some of their dimmers. I can't remember if there is also a list for CFL's. Check their web site.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

Thank you for pointing out the notes, but they leave me feeling confused. I will go a little deeper with my explanation.

I would like to install two Lutron Maestro Wireless Dimmers (MRF2-6CL-IV) and two Lutron CL Digital Dimmers (MACL-153MH-IV) in a four gang switch box. Below are the installation instructions for each type of switch.

MACL-153MH-IV: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/0301629b.pdf

MRF2-6CL-IV: https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/lutron...stallation.pdf

I intend for the first Maestro switch to operate 6 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts. I intend for the second maestro switch to operate 3 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts and 3 halogen lights that I have not yet selected, so watts are unknown. I intended for the 1st CL dimmer to operate 5 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts (5 instead of 6 because of cold air returns interfering with the placement of the 6th recessed light can). I intend for the 2nd CL dimmer to operate a track light with six halogen bulbs and a cable light with four halogen bulbs that I have not yet selected, so again watts are unknown.

I assumed this setup would be just fine; however, in reading through the notes you pointed out, I see they talk about derating based on multi-gang setups. I now fear that I am trying to power too many watts through these switches. With that said, the instructions do not seem very clear to me. For example, the MRF2-6CL-IV instructions say, "however, no derating is required for remote dimmers." This is really weird, if you ask me, because these are instructions for remote controlled dimmers. Why would the instructions bother to detail derating if it doesn't apply!?!

Are you able to make sense of any of this and do you see any reason why these switches may not work in the 4 gang box as I intended? Maybe I should call Lutron to clarify?

The LED light I am using is the UtiliTech Pro from Lowes: http://pdf.lowes.com/installationgui...32_install.pdf

Again, thank you for helping.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for pointing out the notes, but they leave me feeling confused. I will go a little deeper with my explanation.

I would like to install two Lutron Maestro Wireless Dimmers (MRF2-6CL-IV) and two Lutron CL Digital Dimmers (MACL-153MH-IV) in a four gang switch box. Below are the installation instructions for each type of switch.

MACL-153MH-IV: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/0301629b.pdf

MRF2-6CL-IV: https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/lutron...stallation.pdf

I intend for the first Maestro switch to operate 6 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts. I intend for the second maestro switch to operate 3 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts and 3 halogen lights that I have not yet selected, so watts are unknown. I intended for the 1st CL dimmer to operate 5 LED recessed lights rated at 13 watts (5 instead of 6 because of cold air returns interfering with the placement of the 6th recessed light can). I intend for the 2nd CL dimmer to operate a track light with six halogen bulbs and a cable light with four halogen bulbs that I have not yet selected, so again watts are unknown.

I assumed this setup would be just fine; however, in reading through the notes you pointed out, I see they talk about derating based on multi-gang setups. I now fear that I am trying to power too many watts through these switches. With that said, the instructions do not seem very clear to me. For example, the MRF2-6CL-IV instructions say, "however, no derating is required for remote dimmers." This is really weird, if you ask me, because these are instructions for remote controlled dimmers. Why would the instructions bother to detail derating if it doesn't apply!?!

Are you able to make sense of any of this and do you see any reason why these switches may not work in the 4 gang box as I intended? Maybe I should call Lutron to clarify?

The LED light I am using is the UtiliTech Pro from Lowes: http://pdf.lowes.com/installationgui...32_install.pdf

Again, thank you for helping.

*You should figure out what your total watts will be for each dimmer load and how much will be LED and how much is halogen and then give Lutron a call. The LED and CFL load rating is lower than the incandescent and halogen rating, but the example below the chart shows mixing of CFL's and halogen.

I would be concerned about mixing LED and halogen bulbs on the same dimmer. The dimming may not be consistent between the two types of bulbs.

Advertisement