Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

wiring 3 way switch for basement

I recently added a bedroom in my basement and I want to add a light switch in the basement so I don't have to keep running up and down the stairs to turn off the lights. The basement lights are wired in the following manner. Main power runs through a light then off to other lights in the basement. Also the switch at the top of the stairs connects into the main power through the light too. How do I wire the 3way switches to turn off the lights from the basement bedroom?

juliotjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Run a 3 wire cable from the first (original) switch box to the second (new) switch box for the 3 way setup.

Remove the old regular switch and get two 3 way switches. (Don't undo any other wires in the box.)

Connect the red and white wires of your new cable to the traveler (same color) screws on the two 3 way switches now at their respective boxes. Put a band of black tape on each end of the white wire.

At the new switch box connect the black wire to the common (darker) screw of the switch.

At the old switch box connect one of the wires that used to be connected to the old switch to the common screw of the new 3 way switch.

Connect the other wire that used to be connected to the old switch to the new black wire.

(At the original box connect the new cable ground wire to the cluster of ground wires already there. There should be a loose bare wire to connect to the switch frame, that was used with the old switch, or else add such a short length to the ground wire cluster also. At the new box connect the bare wire end to the frame of the switch there. It is usually easiest to connect the ground wires first.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-18-2009 at 07:58 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Run a 3 wire cable from the first (original) switch box to the second (new) switch box for the 3 way setup.

Remove the old regular switch and get two 3 way switches. (Don't undo any other wires in the box.)This is very important

Connect the red and white wires of your new cable to the traveler (same color) screws on the two 3 way switches now at their respective boxes. Put a band of black tape on each end of the white wire.

At the new switch box connect the black wire to the common (darker) screw of the switch.

At the old switch box connect one of the wires(The one going to the light )that used to be connected to the old switch to the common screw of the new 3 way switch.

Connect (wirenut)the other wire(the supply or hot) that used to be connected to the old switch to the new black wire.

(At the original box connect the new cable ground wire to the cluster of ground wires already there. There should be a loose bare wire to connect to the switch frame, that was used with the old switch, or else add such a short length to the ground wire cluster also. At the new box connect the bare wire end to the frame of the switch there. It is usually easiest to connect the ground wires first.)
One minor mistake. 200.7(C)(2) says you can not use the white wire as a traveler in a switch loop, it is supposed to be used as the supply in these installations. Re indentify the white wire, as stated above, but use the white wire as the supply to the new switch, and the black and red as travelers between the switches. As I said earlier, this a minor point of code, thousands of switches have been installed using the white wire as a traveler. This more of a FYI post for people.

Allanj I added a couple of notes to your post for what I hope will help the OP, I hope you do not not mind. I am not critisizing your answer,I was just trying to make it a little clearer for OP.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote