Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Share |

wiring a 20amp/250 NEMA 6-20R receptical

I have a nema 6-20 20amp./250v receptical that I need to install. From out of the outlet in the wall, there is two hot wires (blk & red), a return (wht), and the ground (bare copper). The receptical that I have only has three screws for the connections, two for the hot and the one for ground. My question is, how or where do you connect the return wire? Thank you for you wisdom. Jim.
jgapiaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgapiaries View Post
I have a nema 6-20 20amp./250v receptical that I need to install. From out of the outlet in the wall, there is two hot wires (blk & red), a return (wht), and the ground (bare copper). The receptical that I have only has three screws for the connections, two for the hot and the one for ground. My question is, how or where do you connect the return wire? Thank you for you wisdom. Jim.
You don't, just cap it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
JOATMON

The recept you have is a 240Vac only outlet. For that application, you would hook up the black & red wires only (and ground). The white neut wire could just be wire nutted for safety. You only need the neut if your device also needs 120Vac.

Some of the experts might chime in...but I think standard now is to use a 4 wire connector. If your device does not use the neutral...that ok...no harm.

What are you wiring up?

I just wired up one of those this past weekend for my 240Vac compressor.

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote