Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Wiring 2 Motion Sensor Flood Lights Through Siding

Hello,
My wife and I recently bought a house and on the house there was on motion sensor flood light and another flood light off to the side of the house. They put an light socket plug adapter in one of the light sockets and then plugged the other flood light (without the motion sensor) to that adapter. Therefore, once the motion sensor went off both lights would come on. Well, I want to replace both lights with two new motion sensor lights.
This is my plan:
Wire one new motion senor flood light to the existing wires. Then run UF-B 14/3 cable underneath the siding of the house to the other motion sensor flood light on the side of the house. Is this okay or should I use MC cable instead?
By the way, I am using 14/3 with ground so I can tie the motion sensors together so when one senses motion, the other one does too.
Also, I live in Alabama.
Thank you

Datwood2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

bump for Datwood

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

And they say people from Alabama are dumb............LOL. Kidding. I like the idea of the 3 wire cable. Good thinking.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Master Electrician

[quote=Datwood2009;441518]Hello,
My wife and I recently bought a house and on the house there was on motion sensor flood light and another flood light off to the side of the house. They put an light socket plug adapter in one of the light sockets and then plugged the other flood light (without the motion sensor) to that adapter. Therefore, once the motion sensor went off both lights would come on. Well, I want to replace both lights with two new motion sensor lights.
This is my plan:
Wire one new motion senor flood light to the existing wires. Then run UF-B 14/3 cable underneath the siding of the house to the other motion sensor flood light on the side of the house. Is this okay or should I use MC cable instead?
By the way, I am using 14/3 with ground so I can tie the motion sensors together so when one senses motion, the other one does too.
Also, I live in Alabama.

Thank you[/quote

You need to specify whether or not you are trying to operate both floods from the MD on one of the floods, operating the floods from MD on each flood, or whether you ar trying to operate both floods when motion is detected from one MD or the other. Independant operation is much easier than trying to get themto operate in tandem.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote