DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Wires needed for 100 amp subpanel (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wires-needed-100-amp-subpanel-151103/)

dfulton 07-21-2012 10:03 PM

I am running a 100 amp service to my workshop from my main house panel. I believe I need 2 #4, 1 #6, and 1 #8 wires. Is this correct?

220 feet from main panel. Buried - in conduit.

Julius793 07-21-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfulton (Post 971353)
I am running a 100 amp service to my workshop from my main house panel. I believe I need 2 #4, 1 #6, and 1 #8 wires. Is this correct?

No you need #3 copper or #1 aluminum.

mpoulton 07-21-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius793 (Post 971359)
No you need #3 copper or #1 aluminum.

If he can use 90C terminations, then #4 Cu or #2 Al is allowed.

a_lost_shadow 07-22-2012 12:42 AM

When I was researching doing my service upgrade, I ran across a number of folks stating that you won't find 90C rated equipment, unless it's rated for >= 600V. So I'm curious if you know of any 90C rated breakers that would fit in a standard residential panel.

kbsparky 07-22-2012 02:53 AM

We routinely use #3 hots, #4 neutral, and #8 ground when installing THHN copper feeders for a 100 Amp panel.

#1 hots, #2 neutral, and #6 ground when installing aluminum XHHW conductors.

Jim Port 07-22-2012 07:58 AM

You will not find residential breakers with a 90 degree termination.

stickboy1375 07-22-2012 08:38 AM

I doubt you actually need 100 amps, so go with #2 AL, and feed with a 90 amp breaker....

Julius793 07-22-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 971545)
I doubt you actually need 100 amps, so go with #2 AL, and feed with a 90 amp breaker....

well i doubt he really needs 90a so go with #10 and a 30a breaker :jester::jester::jester::eek::whistling2:

stickboy1375 07-22-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius793 (Post 971620)
well i doubt he really needs 90a so go with #10 and a 30a breaker :jester::jester::jester::eek::whistling2:

My suggestion was not to waste ones time trying to locate an odd ball size wire and just go with the next size down breaker and still feel adequate with the selection...

Clutchcargo 07-22-2012 10:40 AM

I'm surprised no-one asked these questions yet...
Is the workshop connected to the house? How far away is it?

Julius793 07-22-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 971622)
My suggestion was not to waste ones time trying to locate an odd ball size wire and just go with the next size down breaker and still feel adequate with the selection...

you claim to be an electrician? ever walked into a supply houseand ask for #1 ser??? its just as avaliable as any other size!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

stickboy1375 07-22-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius793 (Post 971631)
you claim to be an electrician? ever walked into a supply houseand ask for #1 ser??? its just as avaliable as any other size!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jealous of my knowledge? :wink:

Julius793 07-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 971648)
Jealous of my knowledge? :wink:

what knowledge??????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Julius793 07-22-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfulton (Post 971353)

220 feet from main panel

conduit or direct burial?

stickboy1375 07-22-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius793 (Post 971652)
what knowledge??????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Bwaahhh, i'll leave you to yourself. :laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved