Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wires to 2nd Floor... help..

I'm attempting to get about 7 cables up from the bsmt to 2nd floor attic in a 95 yr old home.

Running adj to the soil pipe is proving to be difficult, as there is only a small space next to the pipe, and the fire stops that hold the pipe from moving in the wall.

how do you drill holes in the 1st floor header (2nd floor baseboard area) from the bsmt or attic? Very difficult to get too.

Thinking along the same lines... somehow they (plumbers) get a new copper line up to the attic/2nd floor sinks... those are 3/4 holes...????

I've got 2 cables up, using a fiberglass fish tape, but the openings are now filled with the cables.

any thoughts/suggestions? The laundry chute/chimney chase is blocked, so that's out.

Preciate some thoughts...

Email might be easier...

thanks all !!

-Mark

-Mark

Last edited by Gary in WA; 06-09-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Removed personal E-mail.
mlitt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,490

Some times you have to patch holes after you are done.
One thing you could try is to remove the baseboard. Then cut a hole which will be covered by the baseboard when re-installed.

mlitt55 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

My house is 200 years old and most of my walls are solid brick, so I have very limited options for running new circuits.

Two rules I abide by:
1. I always pull one extra run of wire than I need for the project. It really isn't that expensive and with only two real locations in my house to pull wire; I KNOW I will need the other putative circuit in the near future.

2. I drop line 'down' and then pull the wire up. I ALWAYS pull the line back up at the same time. That way, it is easy to pull a second cable up later.

Joed is right on the money with the baseboards. I did this two days ago. Pull baseboard, remove bottom five inches of plaster and lath, find useful joist bay, drill hole, and drop weighted line (I find this easier than fishing up).

When I'm dropping down from the third floor I make an opening the same way between the 2nd and 1st floor to get all the way down.
mlitt55 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum, Mark!

We are here to help everyone get the best possible help with their projects. That said, we encourage everyone to post questions and answers in the forum to benefit others, not just privately. This also gives the original poster more accurate information from a multitude of posters answering which usually are corrected if answered incorrectly with the reason explaining why. This educates all of us and is a benefit to learning the correct way (though sometimes there are many "correct" ways, some are better than others). This the reason I removed your personal E-mail, thank you for your understanding here. After a number of posts, members are allowed to "private message" other members for discussion privately, if interested.

Gary
mlitt55 (06-10-2011)