Wireless Remote Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wireless remote switch

I'm trying to do something that seems very simple to me, but I can't seem to find any products that can do it. I'm trying to add a second (remote) switch to an existing single-pole dimmer switch, effectively creating a standard three-way dimmer switch setup, but with one of the two switches wireless. I have no problem replacing the existing dimmer switch, but I'd really rather not have to run any wires. I could provide a constant hot to the wireless switch, but I'd rather have one that ran on batteries.

The existing setup is a simple single-location, single pole/single throw dimmer switch, which controls the lights in my living room. I would also like to switch the lights on/off from my bedroom doorway, on the other side of the room from the existing switch. Control of the dimming level from the bedroom is not necessary. I would like something that is wireless, and that sticks to the wall and looks like a light switch. All the products I've found seem to be not quite right, or designed for something slightly different.

Anybody have any ideas?

Advertisement

squigish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Wireless remote switch

After doing a bit of searching, I'd suggest looking at the Lutron Maestro line. Looks like you can pick up one of their "Primary Dimmer"s and then add wireless remote controls.

Advertisement

a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Wireless remote switch

I really like INSTEON devices from smarthome but you can go with X10 and a few others too. Maybe start at smarthome.com and see what they have then shop around.
justin_bliar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-way , 3-way switch , dimmer switch , wireless