Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
KGP

Share |

Wireless Motion Sensor Lights -Reviews??

Did a search and didnt find anything on here...

I was at a big box store today and they had wireless motion detector lights on clearance and it got my attention. I called a few friends and nobody had any reviews on ever using them or knowing anyone who has.

They are hardwired as far as the lights go, but you can place the sensor anywhere (in range) you wish.

They are returnable to the store if I dont like them, but dont have the time to install if I am just going to rip them down. Im wondering if they are blowing them out because they suck, or because they are switching models/brands..

Any reviews for anyone using them?

Thanks in advance

KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

I'm not a fan. I've installed them for customers and have found it difficult position the sensors so they can reliably control the light. In general, I'm not a fan of inexpensive lights with integral motion sensor/photo controls. They are a pain to aim the motion sensor to cover the area the customer wants and the photo eyes often fail after a couple of years. Unfortunately, I haven't really found something that works for intermittent security lighting. Right now I like a separate photo eye the leaves the light on dusk to dawn. Or a mechanical timer (electronic time in a pinch).

Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

FWIW, I have used Heath/Zenith with excellent success. These are typically available at Home Depot.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
KGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
FWIW, I have used Heath/Zenith with excellent success. These are typically available at Home Depot.
this was the brand they were blowing out.

I figured it was worth a shot, but also wanted to get some input before wasting my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
found it difficult position the sensors so they can reliably control the light. In general, I'm not a fan of inexpensive lights with integral motion sensor/photo controls. They are a pain to aim the motion sensor to cover the area the customer wants and the photo eyes often fail after a couple of years.
I can deal with it failing in a few years... the places I have in mind for the sensor isnt around a corner or anything... it should be a straight sight line to the light. Does that help make it a better fit, or "work" better?
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote