Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1

Share |

Wireless lighting

Not sure that this is the right forum as this is wireless. We are thinking about putting wireless lighting, hvac etc. controls in our home. Can you retrofit extg. Lights to be wireless or would new lights have to be bought? Can anyone recommend a system that have heard good things about so I can do some research? Thanks

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Wireless lighting

As I understand it, you don't do anything with the lights, it's the switches that are replaced with wireless ones. How HVAC is done I don't know; probably with a wireless thermostat. There are even ways to control things from a smart phone. Sorry I can't offer more specifics, but I don't have such a system or even know anyone who does. Both Home Depot and Lowe's do sell wireless switches.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

Wireless lighting

Just for my own info, why do you think you want to go that way? One more thing to fail.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Not sure that this is the right forum as this is wireless. We are thinking about putting wireless lighting, hvac etc. controls in our home. Can you retrofit extg. Lights to be wireless or would new lights have to be bought? Can anyone recommend a system that have heard good things about so I can do some research? Thanks
What are you calling "wireless". Do you mean you want to install a home control system to existing devices/fixtures in your house?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Wireless lighting

I don't get all this wireless/I want to control my home's electric from my iPhone stuff.

I do get the wireless TStat, but I think you'd be better served changing lamps to LED or CFL and leaving select lights on when you are gone. A cheap $5 plug in timer could turn lights on/off when you are on vacation to act as someone is home.

I would be curious to see a homeowner's thinking on this.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
MCB
sparky

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74
Wireless is still unreliable and just doesn't last, in my opinion, of course.
If you want cool automated lighting see Lutron's home automation. Pricey but very cool- I'm sure you can program the thing from your phone and have the lights come on when you are arriving home, etc....
MCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I don't get all this wireless/I want to control my home's electric from my iPhone stuff.

I do get the wireless TStat, but I think you'd be better served changing lamps to LED or CFL and leaving select lights on when you are gone. A cheap $5 plug in timer could turn lights on/off when you are on vacation to act as someone is home.

Well, this homeowner thinks it's a waste of money. But hey, it's the OP's money.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 02-16-2013 at 08:53 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #8

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Look into X-10 controls. They are cheap and somewhat reliable and it will give you a good idea what you can accomplish. There are several other systems available, but much more costly. X-10 devices have worked for me for over 12 years, and as I said it's very budget friendly.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Look into X-10 controls. They are cheap and somewhat reliable and it will give you a good idea what you can accomplish. There are several other systems available, but much more costly. X-10 devices have worked for me for over 12 years, and as I said it's very budget friendly.
Thanks ..I thought x10 made a crappy product... I will look into it based on your experience. Thanks
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Thanks ..I thought x10 made a crappy product... I will look into it based on your experience. Thanks
X-10 is crap, stay away...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post

Scenes is one advantage, but the options are limitless, from security, to having control anywhere in the world... but being able to have pre programmed scenes for parties, to evening to morning routines, touching one button to control all this is well worth it. I sell a lot of Radio Ra 2 installations, the product is simply amazing if you have the coin to do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #12

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
X-10 is crap, stay away...
It doesn't work in all situations, but it's inexpensive enough for him to try, and see what wireless will do for him. And he won't have to pay anyone to install it.....
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Wireless lighting

Quote:
If you want high quality wireless controls you're going to invest quite a bit to do a whole house. That said, the best quality systems I'm aware of are made by Lutron. You should check out their RadioRA product and the Spacer System line. Their tech support is pretty knowledgeable so I'm sure you could call them up and they could give you some good info.
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Wireless lighting

Radio RA is incredibly annoying to work with and very expensive. I would not recommend it. Only Lutron-certified installers have access to the software needed to configure the system, and you have to buy a LOT of hardware to get it all working. Although the devices are based on the Zigbee mesh-network protocol, they don't actually implement a mesh function, so you need repeaters and often have range issues. And the devices are super expensive. I was forced to use it (by an architect who had never used it before) on a $2.5M home project and the results were more annoying than beneficial. The owner regretted buying into that plan.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
E2 Electrician

Wireless lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Radio RA is incredibly annoying to work with and very expensive. I would not recommend it. Only Lutron-certified installers have access to the software needed to configure the system, and you have to buy a LOT of hardware to get it all working. Although the devices are based on the Zigbee mesh-network protocol, they don't actually implement a mesh function, so you need repeaters and often have range issues. And the devices are super expensive. I was forced to use it (by an architect who had never used it before) on a $2.5M home project and the results were more annoying than beneficial. The owner regretted buying into that plan.
i've never had an issue, and its easy to install and program, and its required to be certified for a reason, it keeps the money in the contractors hands, not joe blow home owner...

Im curious what issues you had though, because its pretty cut and dry and the system works...