Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Share |

Wireless Light Switch?

My house is old. Every room in the house that has a ceiling fan doesn't have a light switch for the fan. To turn it on you use the pull chains. I'm in the middle of remodeling a room and I don't want to put up another fan. As I said it's an old house so it's all plaster walls. I don't want to go digging in the walls to find the wire that give the existing fan power because it probably just goes to a junction box anyway to give the second floor power. Here were my ideas and why they aren't working right now...

I could cut holes in the floor of the second floor just to gain access to the back side of the light box that the fan is attached to, run a new line from there to where I want to put in a wired light switch. Problem with that is the walls are insulated so it will be really hard to run new wire and I'll have to cut holes in floors and walls.

When I remodeled my son's room, I installed a new fan and used a wireless fan control inside the mount of the fan and we use a remote to control the fan and light. The remote and receiver were about $25. I would love to find a wireless light switch to control the light, but I can only find fan/light controls or a remote that controls a receiver that is plugged into an outlet or one that costs $100.

Any ideas on where I can find just a wireless light switch for a hardwired light?
harding13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Wireless Light Switch?

http://www.x10homeautomationstore.co..._lighting.html

http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductRe...ote light bulb

Last edited by Mr Chips; 01-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Wireless Light Switch?

Same one that controls the fan. You will have to put a box extension in if you want to use one of the remote units that you used for the fan.

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-06-2011 at 08:43 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Wireless Light Switch?

I don't want to use the same kit as the fan because having the fan speed buttons on it would be useless and I'd rather find something that just has a switch or one button for the light.

Thanks for the links Mr Chips. I've been looking through x10s website and it seems like they have something very very close to what I want, but if I can, I'd rather attach the reciever under the base of the light fixture, because I don't think I'll have enough room to fit "socket rocket."

Any other links/ideas? Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Tool Geek

Wireless Light Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harding13 View Post
.....Every room in the house that has a ceiling fan doesn't have a light switch for the fan........
The cheapest switch & receiver that I know runs $80.
$50 for the receiver & $30 for the wireless switch.

The receiver mounts in the ceiling box above the fan.

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/p...t=22337&rdf=go

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/p...t=22337&rdf=go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

Wireless Light Switch?

Thanks PaliBob. Unfortunately, I can't force myself to buy an $80 light switch.

I think I found something that will work for under $40 from www.x10-store.com. I'm waiting for confirmation from the company before I buy it, but it seems with this particular configuration with x10 products, I'll be able to do what I need to do for much much less.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
DIY Hack

Wireless Light Switch?

I haven't bought X-10 in a long time, but their prices on their own site were pretty inflated and they used to run crazy deals all the time. you could usually find their stuff a lot cheaper on other websites ( when it wasn't on sale), like

www.smarthome.com

http://www.thehomeautomationstore.co...utomation.html

Another system worth looking into is Insteon

http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_...FUmo4AodTV2kog

just stay focused, all this stuff is pretty addictive.....
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Wireless Light Switch?

harding13, I'm looking for the exact same thing as you. I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen area I want to replace with just a light. THe fan has no switch, the fan and lights are turned on using the pull cords. It will be very difficult to run a switch for this because there is no access to the ceiling. Did you have any luck with finding a wireless switch?
wkumtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #9

Wireless Light Switch?

Here are links to the exact stuff I ended up buying. It works great. There is a bit of a delay, but nothing troublesome and it 'clicks' when it turns on, but other than that, it is flawless. The piece that will be mounted under the base of the light fixture can be tricky to fit under it, so make sure you have enough room (or make the room, I had to cut a hole in the ceiling because I didn't have a junction box there).

SS13A Slimline Switch Decorator White - X10

TM751 Transceiver Module - X10
Single Pole Fixture Module model XPFM

Hope this helps...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #10

Wireless Light Switch?

Thanks for the reply. Why do you need the transceiver module and the single pole fixture module? Shouldn't the switch and transceiver operate the light?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #11

Wireless Light Switch?

Here is how it works. It doesn't explain it very well...

The switch sends the 'on/off' signal to the Transceiver and that sends it to the fixture module through the existing wiring. The outlet the Transceiver is plugged into doesn't have to be on the same line as the light though.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #12

Wireless Light Switch?

Yeah, makes sense. This is the least expensive setup out of all the stuff I looked at. I found one that only uses a switch and a hard wired receiver, but it is pricey. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #13

Wireless Light Switch?

No problem. I couldn't find anything cheaper either. I hope it works out for you.