Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wireless fan and light controls

I have a room with a ceiling fan/light unit, but theres only 1 switch on the wall. I want to be able to control the fan and light separately without pulling chains on the unit itself.

All I could find is this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...574&marketID=8

Is this my only option or are there other kinds or other methods I should look into? Thanks

thillygooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #2

There are many different types of remotes for your fan/light. I have a hand held one that you can take around the room with you. But whatever one you choose remember you still need a switch to disconnect the fan power.

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #3

The one I posted in the link has 2 switches up in the fan/light fixture itself. The wall unit is just battery powered and radios the command up. Are there any other things like this?
thillygooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
There are many different types of remotes for your fan/light. I have a hand held one that you can take around the room with you. But whatever one you choose remember you still need a switch to disconnect the fan power.
Don't say that to loud around here. There are several seasoned and well respected electricians on this forum that would disagree with you. That no switch is required on a ceiling fan. Some going as far as to say you can switch the light, but leave the fan hot all the time and use the pull chains. I know, I just had two days of discussion on this exact subject.

You might want to look at the thread. I think is was titled "Installing a ceiling fan". I think. Its a few day old.
Heres the link. Installing Ceiling Fan

OP. The only other way to have independent control of the fan and light is another wire. You need a 3 wire cable from the switch to the ceiling box. If you have conduit you can easily push a new wire in. Remotes work real well, and do not cost that much. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to get the receiver into the fan canopy.

Last edited by J. V.; 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, fan, light, remote, wireless