Wireless Electric Outlet Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wireless electric outlet question


I cant find any info on this anywhere, so thought I would ask here. we want to purchase a sofa which has 2 power reclining seats in it. since the sofa will sit in the middle of the room, there is no outlet to plug in with out running a wire across the floor. I obviously don't want to run a wire under the carpet, and it occured to me that maybe one of the new wireless gadgets might work. does anyone know if this is a possibility? any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

KimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by KimS
I cant find any info on this anywhere, so thought I would ask here. we want to purchase a sofa which has 2 power reclining seats in it. since the sofa will sit in the middle of the room, there is no outlet to plug in with out running a wire across the floor. I obviously don't want to run a wire under the carpet, and it occured to me that maybe one of the new wireless gadgets might work. does anyone know if this is a possibility? any help is greatly appreciated!
What the hell?????

Advertisement

__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julius793 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-03-2013), stickboy1375 (12-03-2013)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Md/Pa
Posts: 1,499
Rewards Points: 1,354
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
What the hell?????
Dude.....get with the times, haven't you heard.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-03-2013)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


All seriousness is there an open basement under this room? Because what I would do is wire floor outlets.
__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 113
Rewards Points: 77
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Even though this is probably a joke post...

"Wireless" transmission of energy is being developed as we speak. But it is absolutely not ready for prime time.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Licensed Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,546
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Brings a whole new meaning to the tern "Electric Chair"
__________________
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wireless electric outlet question


WOW - NO idea I was so ignorant, lol! I guess I should be completely mortified after seeing the responses, but I'm so uneducated in electric that I will just humbly plead complete ignorance ok?
Anyway, a friend had told me a while back that they now had wireless outlets coming out ( which i did locate on the web ) and I just wondered if the technology might apply to this.
Many apologies for bothering you all, but at least now I know

Oh, btw, I'm in florida, so it is a concrete slab under the carpet. that was the obvious route, but can't do it. thanks again everyone
KimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by KimS
WOW - NO idea I was so ignorant, lol! I guess I should be completely mortified after seeing the responses, but I'm so uneducated in electric that I will just humbly plead complete ignorance ok?
Anyway, a friend had told me a while back that they now had wireless outlets coming out ( which i did locate on the web ) and I just wondered if the technology might apply to this.
Many apologies for bothering you all, but at least now I know

Oh, btw, I'm in florida, so it is a concrete slab under the carpet. that was the obvious route, but can't do it. thanks again everyone
Sure come back and visit sometime
__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Member
 
Ironlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 701
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Not so fast boys.

Wireless extension cords:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by KimS View Post
WOW - NO idea I was so ignorant, lol! I guess I should be completely mortified after seeing the responses, but I'm so uneducated in electric that I will just humbly plead complete ignorance ok?
Anyway, a friend had told me a while back that they now had wireless outlets coming out ( which i did locate on the web ) and I just wondered if the technology might apply to this.
Many apologies for bothering you all, but at least now I know

Oh, btw, I'm in florida, so it is a concrete slab under the carpet. that was the obvious route, but can't do it. thanks again everyone
KimS the only stupid question is the one you donít ask. You will most likely need an electrician. One solution could be some sort of poll lamp and outlet with a drop from the ceiling, just a thought.

Writerís information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight
Not so fast boys.

Wireless extension cords:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml
Of course someone always has to post crap!
__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julius793 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-03-2013)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wireless electric outlet question


I checked out the "geek" site. it has a "haha, april fools" under the product so I'm assuming that was a gag.
you know guys, (just to make myself more humiliated), I just thought since you can remote the garage door etc, there might be some kind of product that would work for this earth shattering issue, lol.
just don't want to spend $2500. on a power sofa I can't use!

btw - I have cathedral ceilings so I don't think anything from the top down is going to work.

now..... I know you all will kill me, BUT.........would it be so awful to run a wire 4 feet under the carpet if it is covered with something to protect it from getting damaged? it could easily be unplugged when we are not home. I'm ready for the hammering.......... go ahead...........
KimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

wireless electric outlet question


Quote:
Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I checked out the "geek" site. it has a "haha, april fools" under the product so I'm assuming that was a gag.
you know guys, (just to make myself more humiliated), I just thought since you can remote the garage door etc, there might be some kind of product that would work for this earth shattering issue, lol.
just don't want to spend $2500. on a power sofa I can't use!

btw - I have cathedral ceilings so I don't think anything from the top down is going to work.

now..... I know you all will kill me, BUT.........would it be so awful to run a wire 4 feet under the carpet if it is covered with something to protect it from getting damaged? it could easily be unplugged when we are not home. I'm ready for the hammering.......... go ahead...........


Absolutely not! If you have to use an extension cord do not run it under the carpet!


Writerís information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

wireless electric outlet question


It is not all that hard to roll back the carpet and jack hammer a trench in the concrete back to the closest wall receptacle.

At least not that hard if it is you doin' it and not me
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

wireless electric outlet question


ok ok, message received

Advertisement

KimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small secondary countertop outlet issue rasz Electrical 8 11-07-2011 05:14 PM
de-activate 220v electric stove outlet 6fthook Electrical 17 10-04-2011 07:32 PM
outlet question. sanman Electrical 5 07-18-2010 03:37 PM
Just for fun Andy in ATL Electrical 56 10-20-2009 10:33 AM
help! with electric outlet Brad325 Electrical 7 05-03-2009 12:01 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts