Wireless 4way Light Switch Available? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wireless 4way light switch available?

We bought this large 9200sq ft house almost 1yr ago and after living in it for 1yr we noticed what we feel is a design flaw in how the electrical switches for the kitchen light was laid out.

Right now there is 3 total switches controlling the 12 recessed cans in the ceiling (all running 15w CFLs). There is one switch near the door/opening where the garage door entry is. Then there is another where the opening leads to the main hallway. Then there is another near the patio door (upper deck). But where the family room is (connected to this open space) there is no switch there. There is only switches for the Light and Fan in the Family room.

Im 99% sure the two switches (garage door side and hallway opening) are the 3ways. Then the one near the Patio is probably a 4way (didn't open that one). I have no way of running the wire without tearing up at least 20-30ft of the drywall along the walls and ceiling.

Im looking to see is I can add a 4th switch to the family room side. I cant really seem to find anything that will work. Was hoping there would be a direct 3way replacement switch so I could just take any of the two 3ways and replace that and put the wireless transmitter switch where the family room is, but not finding anything.

Any recommendations?

The closest thing is these Leviton LevNet but I cant fully see how it will fit in my situation. BTW Im pretty good with Electrical so Im confident I can do any wiring I need.

Dixit

Advertisement

Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Lutron's RadioRA switches are very versatile and could well solve your problem. They're not cheap. But they work. I've had them in two past houses and they're going into our new house being constructed.

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I understand LutronRA is not well-suited for the DIY market. It is probably fine if you plan to hire someone to install.

For DIY stuff, I think you will find that Z-wave, Insteon (what I use), and UPB are the most common. The only concern with wiring I have is the presence (or lack thereof) of a neutral. Most devices like this require one.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

RA2 can be installed DIY and can be configured DIY once an agreeable supplier configures the basics. But that's only if you want to get into using the whole network set of features. For a simple setup of a dimmer with multiple remotes you wouldn't need that.

What's nice about the RA2 devices is they work and stay that way. That and they're totally spouse-friendly. No fiddly, cheap crap or constant firmware updates. It's a well thought out and utterly reliable setup.

Yes, if you lack a neutral you could certainly have a problem with just about any higher-end controls.

But for a RA2 companion dimmer/switch you only have to have two wires between between the main dimmer and the companions. Check the wiring docs for it: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/044-157a.pdf See diagrams 3 & 4.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Only contractors that have been certified by lutron can program Radio Ra devices, believe me, I am one.... You cant use the system without a tech.

What you want is Lutrons Pico switches and Maestro wireless, they are DIY...

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

And yet people are doing it. Don't believe just what the salesmen try to tell you.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
And yet people are doing it. Don't believe just what the salesmen try to tell you.
The only way to get the required software to program radio RA is by taking a course from Lutron.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote