Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Wireing 3 diferent light into one box

Hello, I have a light in my dining room, kitchen and back door and I want to run them to one central location instead of having them spread out throuout the area. can someone explain how to wire these up? A picture would be great or link to a video tut.... Thanks!

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Master Of Nothing

What exactly do you mean? Its a little vague as what you want. Do you want to move the wiring? switches? what?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #3

Yes I wanted to move the switches to one location and put them all in one box.If I had a hot lead running to the box then how would I run the switches so that each light would have its own switch? I hope I explaind this better im new to wiring....
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Master Of Nothing

So you want to run the 3 lights, to 3 switches in the same box on the wall?

Multiple gang box? You pig tail the hots ..that will give you power to the switch/light
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Depending on how these lights and switches are currently wired, you may have to completely rewire everything, as well as ensure the existing circuit(s) that are presently feeding these fixtures and switches continue to do their job.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #6

If I was to rewire everything which Im wanting to go that route then how would it get wired? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #7

It would depend on the actual layout of these fixtures and switches in relation to the orientation of the "easiest / least damaging route for new cable" stud and joist cavities. Electrically, a feed to the bank of 3 switches, and a 2-wire from each fixture to the 3-gang switch.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
If I was to rewire everything which Im wanting to go that route then how would it get wired? Thanks!
I doubt you're going to get someone to really tell you how to do it. This place is geared towards answering more specific questions. Let me ask you a couple.

Do you know how they are wired now? You need to know if the existing switches are at the beginning or the end of each run. Do you know the difference?

If you were putting in a brand new switch in either of the above scenarios, would you know how to do it?

If you answered 'No' to any of my questions, I'd have reservations against this DIY project.

Re-wiring is much more complicated than new wiring. There are many factors that go into what seems like a simple project. For example, if the source of power starts at the switch and you can't permanently kill the power, you will have to put a blank cover on the box because you can't dry wall over the box that has 'hot' wires in it.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I'd recommend you going with a professional.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Each single pole switch has two wires connected to it. And possibly a ground. You can extend those two wires from each existing switch to the new switch box and connect them to the new switch. Splicing them to the two wires you remove from the old switch.

However, usually you want a switch where you are entering or leaving a space. Such as a switch by the door for the outside light. Same for the kitchen light. You don't want to walk across a dark space to turn on a light.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #10

I got it working! I had the electriction where I work explain it to me and show me on paper! I was making a big deal out of nothing... Thanks for everyones posts on my issue!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
I got it working! I had the electriction where I work explain it to me and show me on paper! I was making a big deal out of nothing... Thanks for everyones posts on my issue!
Glad to hear it worked out for you.