Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Wired smoke detectors

My electrician is recommending I install wired co2/smoke detectors. I have battery powered ones now, smoke only. He is suggesting that we wall mount them to ease on the drywall cutting. Do I really need wired detectors? Are they wired together so if one sounds they all do? Is putting them on the wall ok?

dfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Wired smoke detectors

You don't have a location in your profile--but hard wired detectors are code in Canada and the USA---

And a very good idea to add to a structure that was built before the code required them---

dfiddler (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Wired smoke detectors

And yes, wired detectors can be wired so that if one sounds, all the others will sound as well.

Wall mounting them is usually fine, but the installation instructions have to be checked to be sure. There is usually a specific distance from the ceiling that they should be mounted.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
dfiddler (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
JOATMON

Wired smoke detectors

Wired smokes and CO's are code on all new construction.

You have 2 basic choices on interconnected....wiresless or wired. The wireless still need ac power, but the wired one use a 3rd wire. This would be my choice....since you have to run power....just use 14/3 15A wire....

If you go on either the First Alert of Kidd web sites, you will find plenty of info including how to install.

Note....ALL CO detectors have a finite life....the detector is only good for 7 or 10 years....after that you HAVE to replace the unit.....

If you go with 3 wires...you are pretty much assured that you will always be able to replace the units and have them work (all have to be the same brand for the interconnect to work.)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
dfiddler (07-17-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Wired smoke detectors

Since smoke rises, the smoke alarms are more effective when ceiling mounted. Follow the instructions for best locations.

Today's codes call for them in all sleeping areas, outside all sleeping areas and one per floor.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
E2 Electrician

Wired smoke detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemike View Post
Hi,I don't think it's matter where you place the detectors at the wall or ceiling and I think it's go off at the same time.so I suggest to all my friend to must install such smoke alarms and maintain them and change the batteries after a short time.so spend for saving.
You have to follow the manufactures installation instructions...
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Wired smoke detectors

Not sure why your electrician wants to mount on the wall. If you have access from above (attic), IMO it is much easier to mount on the ceiling. And others have said, the ceiling is the most effective location.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #8

Wired smoke detectors

As ddawg stated, hardwired detectors are only required on new construction/remodel. Is your electrician trying to upsell you through fear on items you don't need to pad his bill?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #9

Wired smoke detectors

Wired smoke/CO2 detectors are always a good idea. They can be wired to all go off if one detects smoke, this feature is called interconnect. Be sure that when choosing the detector they say that they are interconnect capable. These detectors also require 14/3 with ground or 12/3 with ground wire to be ran between the detectors (additional wire used for interconnect feature. As for the position, each maker probably has their own specifications, check the owners manual. You will want to make sure that the detectors are in a good area, and are out of "dead air space".

Good luck on your project
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #10

Wired smoke detectors

When I was rewiring my house, my wife "padded" the project by adding this request to our list.

What a great investment in peace of mind. I installed 3 COs, 2 heat detectors (furnace room and kitchen) 1 smoke in each bedroom and at least one on each floor.

I used Kidde. You can mount on the wall but not too far down or close to the ciling. The few inches closest to the corner of a wall and ceiling are dead space. also avoid air ducts. Mine were all ceiling mounted (accessible attics and/or open ceilings for the rest of the project).

follow instructions carefully. Note that you usually have to install on an arc fault breaker but not necessarily a dedicated circuit (depending on which code cycle and local amendments of couse)

An added benefit. If you have small kids that hate loud noise, a simple "maybe its time for a fire alarm test" is enough to make them calm down and listen

Last edited by kevinp22; 08-30-2012 at 01:52 PM.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #11

Red face

Wired smoke detectors

Helpnow,

I just installed brand new Kidde Smoke Alarm, hard wired with back up battery, Now, its beep once every minute, What could be the problem?
helpnow33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Wired smoke detectors

The manual says a beep every minute signals a low battery.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
JOATMON

Wired smoke detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpnow33 View Post
Helpnow,

I just installed brand new Kidde Smoke Alarm, hard wired with back up battery, Now, its beep once every minute, What could be the problem?
Did you remove the piece of paper that is installed between the battery and the contacts? They typically install that to prevent the battery from running down while in storage.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote