Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Wired new shed and only getting .005 amps

My husband recently wired my new shed, he has built a barn and another storage shed before and had no problems. Cannot get this one to work right. He has 12/2 underground wire feeding power to shed. Has power coming in same amperage as from original source. He has 124 volts running to all outlets, but when I plug up a drill or a light to outlet, nothing happens. Why is this? He has tried to figure this out for two weeks and even changed out the NEW box. Cannot figure it out. Why does he have 124 volts to outlets and they will not work? Any advice would be appreciated, especially by me. He had a stroke back in January and he is really getting frustrated with himself. He has always been able to rewire and have no problems, but cannot seem to figure this one out.

basscatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

How far away is the shed from the main power ?
How did he run the wire....buried....in conduit ?
What type of wire ?
What did he use to measure the 124v ?
Where are you located ?
What "new" box was replaced ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #3

"He has always been able to rewire and have no problems, but cannot seem to figure this one out".

This statement worries me as to the integrity of the installation. Take a a few pictures of the panel (OPEN) and how the receptacles are connected. Sounds like you need professional help to me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
basscatdad (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #4

Thank you so much for responding. The building is 85 feet from the original power source. He ran Encore Wire 12/2 UFWG. It is a grey wire that can be buried, he intends on running it through PVC conduit. We live in Bainbridge, GA on Lake Seminole so the soil is sandy. He used a multimeter to check the amperage on the outlets, the box, the main line coming in and got all the same readings. He had originally put in a 100AMP long box inside the building. We just moved so he had the one from his other storage building and he took it and put it in this building because he knows it works. He got the same results. He cannot figure out how he has 124 volts running to the outlets, but they will not work anything.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatdad View Post
Thank you so much for responding. The building is 85 feet from the original power source. He ran Encore Wire 12/2 UFWG. It is a grey wire that can be buried, he intends on running it through PVC conduit. We live in Bainbridge, GA on Lake Seminole so the soil is sandy. He used a multimeter to check the amperage on the outlets, the box, the main line coming in and got all the same readings. He had originally put in a 100AMP long box inside the building. We just moved so he had the one from his other storage building and he took it and put it in this building because he knows it works. He got the same results. He cannot figure out how he has 124 volts running to the outlets, but they will not work anything.
Here is a test. On one of the duplex outlets, connect the multimeter between the two straight slots on top. Then plug in a lamp or trouble light that is known to work into the bottom connection. Read the meter, then turn on the lamp and read the meter.
Tell us the results.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

I will get him to try this. It will be later this evening since we get home around 7:30 every evening. I will let you know the results first thing in the morning. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
liscenced electrician

in this situation you need to use a meter with a solenoid in it. A "wiggins" meter. Ghost voltages can be a pain to track down with a digital meter
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
This type of wire can't be put in conduit outside.

Can you post photos of the panels this is hooked up to?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
This type of wire can't be put in conduit outside
According to what code ?
As long as the conduit is big enough for the wire diameter I don't see a problem
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
in this situation you need to use a meter with a solenoid in it. A "wiggins" meter. Ghost voltages can be a pain to track down with a digital meter
We are working with DIYer that have a limited selection of tools and in this case they have a meter. I have worked in the electronics field for years and have never needed or heard of a wiggins meter. It may have a place in troubleshooting just as an oscilloscope does but right now all we need is a meter. Properly used, it will find our problem.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
basscatdad (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
According to what code ?
As long as the conduit is big enough for the wire diameter I don't see a problem
Maybe romex style - UF cable is only prohibed in some ammedments. I can't find it in the national code.

I'm convinced it's not a good idea from past experiance. If you get comduit why not get the proper thwn style wire? It will pull much easier.

I got the impression that this isn't burried yet. Since she said he intends to run it through conduit.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
We are working with DIYer that have a limited selection of tools and in this case they have a meter. I have worked in the electronics field for years and have never needed or heard of a wiggins meter. It may have a place in troubleshooting just as an oscilloscope does but right now all we need is a meter. Properly used, it will find our problem.
most electricians here carry one, they are sold at any place that sells electrical tools. This could proably be troubleshot easily without one though, now that i think about it. Plug a lamp in, in the shed, then go back and check for power at every location. Namely on both sides of the uf. You suggested this, and it will help to troubleshoot not only the receptacle its plugged into, but the entire circuit

Quote:
Maybe romex style - UF cable is only prohibed in some ammedments. I can't find it in the national code.

I'm convinced it's not a good idea from past experiance. If you get comduit why not get the proper thwn style wire? It will pull much easier.

I got the impression that this isn't burried yet. Since she said he intends to run it through conduit.

there is a time and a place for everything. I would run uf if the conduit isn't going to terminate at a box. Like say for example it ran from the panel, 50' under the house in the crawl space, then underground for 6' then into the shed. Are you going to run conduit the whole way?
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
DIY'er

Quote:
Like say for example it ran from the panel, 50' under the house in the crawl space, then underground for 6' then into the shed. Are you going to run conduit the whole way?
I've run ENT inside in situations like this, and just made the transition in a 4x4 where the ENT transitions to ridgid as it leaves the building.

I can see why you would just want to pull UF for the whole run in a situation like this.

Jamie
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:

My guess is he has an open neutral (white wire) and he is testing hot to ground which is showing 124 volts.. Did he test hot (black) to neutral (white) ??

The test you were asked to perform earlier should tell us one way or another..

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
It's called a "wiggy". And yes, it is the best voltage tester for DIY.

Quote:
This type of wire can't be put in conduit outside.

Can you post photos of the panels this is hooked up to?
UF is direct burial cable and can be installed in conduit. Not the way I would do it. I never install cables in conduit. Never.

Quote:
Are you going to run conduit the whole way?
I thought the UF was already installed. She is checking the receptacles in the shed after all. And yes, I would run conduit the complete distance if possible.

Quote:
He has tried to figure this out for two weeks and even changed out the NEW box. Cannot figure it out.
What box? Do you have a panel in the shed? Panels installed in unattached structures need four wires in most instances along with several other requirements.

So lets start all over. You have run 12/2 UF right? It is already buried right? You installed a panel (breaker) in the shed right?
Please answer these questions.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote