DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wired a new light now dimmer doesn't work

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kennzz05 
#1 ·
I was replacing three pendant lights in my kitchen. The first two are on the same dimmer switch. The third is on its own dimmer switch. The first two light I was able to put up with no problems....connected the white to white, black to black and ground. The third light had different wiring. There was two white (wound together as one), two black (wound together again as one) then a single red wire and a copper ground wire. The light fixture only has a black, white and ground wire. When I hooked it up, leaving the single red wire capped, the dimmer switch no longer works to control it however the switch that normally just turns on the recessed lighting now controls that pendant light. I am stumped. Any help would be appreciated very much. House is only 7 years old...in case that helps.

Thank you!

#3 ·
Put a marrete on the blacks and connect your light to the red. Sounds like they ran a 3 wire for the lights, the black controls the recessed lights, and the red controls the light your trying to work.

Are both switches in the same box, if so what I said enough is probably whats going on.

#4 ·
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it. So I did as you both said however now the light comes on when I turn the circuit breaker back on and does not turn on or off by any switch only turns off if I use the circuit breaker.............any other ideas? Stumped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.