Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |
Question

wire-in smoke detector circuit

i live in the over-bureaucratic washington DC where the code requires a wire-in smoke detector and battery-powered ones are not good enough.

my question is: in case of wire-in smoke detector, do they also usually require that they be on their own circuit or is it okay to hook it onto an existing shared circuit.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i live in the over-bureaucratic washington DC where the code requires a wire-in smoke detector and battery-powered ones are not good enough.

my question is: in case of wire-in smoke detector, do they also usually require that they be on their own circuit or is it okay to hook it onto an existing shared circuit.
I would call your local code office to find out. I have heard of a number of times where the local jurisdiction wants something special done with the smoke alarm circuit. (i.e. one circuit, but also has a hallway light on it, on bedroom circuit, etc.)

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I wired in about a half dozen smokes at my house on the same circuit as the upstairs bedrooms. This way if the circuit is out, it would be pretty noticeable.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
DIYer

Quote:
i live in the over-bureaucratic washington DC where the code requires a wire-in smoke detector
It's not DC, this is required pretty much everywhere now. They also have to be networked together with a third conductor and have battery backup (dual power).

Like Jamie said, you really need to call your inspector. Even though they aren't supposed to make up new rules that aren't in the code, this is one area where they seem to have very "creative" interpretations.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
It's not DC, this is required pretty much everywhere now. They also have to be networked together with a third conductor and have battery backup (dual power).

Like Jamie said, you really need to call your inspector. Even though they aren't supposed to make up new rules that aren't in the code, this is one area where they seem to have very "creative" interpretations.
I agree they are not allowed to apply things they make up or matters that are the inspectors personal preference. However, it is very easy for them to add things into the municipal code, then it is fully legal and enforceable!

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
It's not DC, this is required pretty much everywhere now.
not necessarily. in VA, just outside DC, they are A LOT MORE DIY-friendly, just battery powered ones are fine.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
not necessarily. in VA, just outside DC, they are A LOT MORE DIY-friendly, just battery powered ones are fine.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't consider that "friendly". Why would you want to only have a battery operated smoke? If it were up to me (it's not), I would make all hard-wired smokes with a battery backup that was charged by line power, and if the circuit failed, they would scream bloody murder. But a different sound than a fire. Or maybe they could just tell you "Warning! AC power has been interrupted!"
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Why would you want to only have a battery operated smoke?
cuz you don't have to run darn wire and if your batteries run out and you annihilate as a result of an undetected fire, it can be attributed to the darwinistic principle.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
and if the circuit failed, they would scream bloody murder. But a different sound than a fire.
My house is fairly new and has the hardwire+battery+networked ones (firex). My basement one I knew had gone dead a while back, and the test button didn't even work right when it was on line power. I had been meaning to replace it for a while.

When I turned my main off to install the generator transfer, about 5 minutes later all the alarms went off. I don't know if it was a safety feature or just an accidental result of the failure, but that failed basement detector was tripping the entire network with its almost completely dead battery and no line power.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
My house is fairly new and has the hardwire+battery+networked ones (firex). My basement one I knew had gone dead a while back, and the test button didn't even work right when it was on line power. I had been meaning to replace it for a while.

When I turned my main off to install the generator transfer, about 5 minutes later all the alarms went off. I don't know if it was a safety feature or just an accidental result of the failure, but that failed basement detector was tripping the entire network with its almost completely dead battery and no line power.
My house also has Firex wired/networked. The only indication that AC is out is the lack of a little green LED that you really can't see, except at night.
They are wired on their own 15A breaker.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
It's cause your transfer switch was on fire

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote