Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
rpb

Share |

Wire size to water well 180' away

Hey fellas, I have been looking on here for about 2 hours and have founds some great info. I have looked at some charts but have seen some posts with conflicting info. I figured I would just ask.

I am wanting to run underground service to a small building with a water well, and a few plugs on a 20amp breaker.

Main box at garage is fed with 125 amp service,

small building is 180' away

1) well is 1/2 horse, 115 volt, draws 11.9amps will be on a 20 amp breaker

2) light bulb and plugs will be on a 20 amp breaker (for a small air compressor, and a drill, and a 12volt battery charger)

I want to use a breaker in my main garage box to supply the out building.

I want a box in the outbuilding with a main breaker and then the 2 other breakers needed.

will 40 ampbreakers work? should I use 60's, can I get a 60amp main box with spaces for other breakers? What size wire do I need to run, I guess it needs to be 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground correct? do I need to drive a ground rod at the outbuilding?

thanks everyone

rpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb View Post
Hey fellas, I have been looking on here for about 2 hours and have founds some great info. I have looked at some charts but have seen some posts with conflicting info. I figured I would just ask.

I am wanting to run underground service to a small building with a water well, and a few plugs on a 20amp breaker.

Main box at garage is fed with 125 amp service,

small building is 180' away

1) well is 1/2 horse, 115 volt, draws 11.9amps will be on a 20 amp breaker

2) light bulb and plugs will be on a 20 amp breaker (for a small air compressor, and a drill, and a 12volt battery charger)

I want to use a breaker in my main garage box to supply the out building.

I want a box in the outbuilding with a main breaker and then the 2 other breakers needed.

will 40 ampbreakers work? should I use 60's, can I get a 60amp main box with spaces for other breakers? What size wire do I need to run, I guess it needs to be 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground correct? do I need to drive a ground rod at the outbuilding?

thanks everyone
Let me ask you the first question where the pressure switch will be located in the house or in the shed or what ? the reason why I ask that one due there are couple code realted issue it will come up so once I know where your pressure switch located then we will go from there.

Now for your small building there are quite few diffrent subpanel you can use and with that light load you got there I am pretty sure you can get by with 40 amp rated breakers I will give you the conductor size in a second.

Yes of course you will need ground rods at the outbuilding { use #6 bare conductor to keep it legit }
Pretty good percentage of subpanel you may end up getting a ground bussbar that is only few bucks { some may have it allready and some don't }

speaking of burial cable or conduit do you want direct burial cable or in the conduit ?

The other thing that all the 120 volt circuits must have GFCI protection there.

Now for conduit size with that distance you will need #6 CU or #4 alum conductor for that distance.

Let me know which way you going with pump set up { I will fill the rest in once I get your confirmation about pressure switch location }

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
rpb

Hey thanks for the reply,

The PRESSURE switch is in the little house with the well, 180'feet from the main box.

As far as CODE, man I am in the middle of no where Texas USA, as long as I dont electrocute myself installing, shouldnt be a problem, electric Co-op has not even ran power to my meter yet,

I am not going to use direct burial. I am going to trench and want to run individual wires in grey PVC pipe.

40 amps will be more than enough, the well only pulls 11.9 and then another 20 amp breaker. 180' is along way, I want to make sure the wire is big enough 6 or 8, can the ground be a different size than the hots and neutral?

If I put a 40 amp in the garage main box, will the subpanel also have a 40 amp main and then the 2, 20 amp breakers?
rpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb View Post
Hey thanks for the reply,

The PRESSURE switch is in the little house with the well, 180'feet from the main box.
Fair engough read below for rest of details.

Quote:
As far as CODE, man I am in the middle of no where Texas USA, as long as I dont electrocute myself installing, shouldnt be a problem, electric Co-op has not even ran power to my meter yet,

I am not going to use direct burial. I am going to trench and want to run individual wires in grey PVC pipe.
Ok then the conduit will work for ya just make sure ya bury it 18 inches down. { I will mention conduit size in a min }

Quote:
40 amps will be more than enough, the well only pulls 11.9 and then another 20 amp breaker. 180' is along way, I want to make sure the wire is big enough 6 or 8, can the ground be a different size than the hots and neutral?

If I put a 40 amp in the garage main box, will the subpanel also have a 40 amp main and then the 2, 20 amp breakers?
40 amp is plenty big for your useage again I mention #6 THHN/THWN conductors that is set up for your distance.

If you have less than 6 breaker or 6 throws then the main disconnection is not needed at the subpanel.

for water pump you will need 20 amp breaker there that will serve as your disconnection switch.

for 120 v receptales you can have them on 20 amp breaker and have a GFCI receptale at first receptale after that you can use the standard receptale{use 12-2NM otherwise in conduit if the critter like to eat the NM cables }

I am sure you will have plenty space leftover for couple extra circuits plus you can able switch over to 240 volt for waterpump if need to

For the conduit size with #6's get one inch conduit just remember to get black , red , white and green conductors { I did caluacted the wire size and distance with the load you have there so you will be fine with that size

of course you will need two ground rods with #6 bare conductor keep the rod 6 foot apart unless you are next to the steel well that will serve as ground rod if that the case snag that one.

As I mention above make sure you get with ground bussbar some will have it and some don't

If you have more question just holler one of us will help ya

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote