Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Wire size and others...

My friend and I are finishing his basement & will be attempting most of the electrical work. I do have several questions, and while I'm sure that they are basic, I'd appreciate any advice anyone may provide. Here goes:

1) Since the basement will have 3 twenty amp circuits, we need 12 guage wire. Can we also use this guage for the standard 15 amp circuits? Any advantages/disadvantages other than cost or the number of wires that I can fit into the conduit?

2) Why do the books that I have require a 20 amp dedicated circuit for a bathroom GFCI? Is this necessary? (the 20 amp, not the GFCI)

3) If I am running several wires through conduit and reach a splice point for 1 wire (e.g. to go to a switch) can I continue another wire unbroken through the covered box to another location (e.g. a receptacle). Or is there an advantage for cutting the wire and usin a wire nut to continue the run?

4) From what I've read, connecting the circuits to the service panel seems pretty simple; are there any pitfalls to doing this myself? Or should we hire an electrician. If we do hire an electrician, what would he expect to see at the panel? Would leaving the conduit about 3' short with an extra amount of wire be sufficient?

5) We will be installing recessed lighting in a drop ceiling throughout. Since we won't know their exact location until the ceiling is in place, would it be OK to run the wires and terminate them in a covered box; then when we decided on the light locations, come out of the box to the lights. More simply put, is there any problem with having extra covered box with splices in the ceiling?

As you may infer, we are using conduit & solid wire, not Romex.

I would appreciate any info/advice that anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-01-2004, 04:02 AM   #2

Wire size and others...

1) yes, advant. is if complete circuit is 12 ga. you can up grade to a 20 amp breaker if need be.
2) not sure (sorry)
3) yes, no advantage by cutting.
4) it's pretty straight forward if you have enough space in the panel box. be sure to to turn off the MAIN breaker.
5) I would just leave plenty of wire in their approx. locations. Recessed lights have there own junction box connected to them,and that all you need. I would suggest using old work/ remodel recessed lights for this project.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Exclamation

Wire size and others...

1- No advantage, only the two disadvantages you mentioned. If you want to use only 12 for convenience just make all the circuits 20 amp. NO reason not to.

2- 2002 NEC for new installations. Must be one 20 amp circuit for at least one receptacle in a bathroom. The circuit can be used for the whole bathroom but only if it is confined to just that one bath. Only the receptacle must be GFI, and the fan only if it is over the tub/shower.

3- No advantage in cutting and splicing but I like to leave a loop for provisions to splice later if need be. Unless for instance it's the bath circuit which you cant use for anything else.

4- The panel is a judgment call. I don't like anyone who is not experienced in any panel. Problem is most electricians do not like to be called in to do the last bits after someone else did the whole job.
Do not leave the conduit short. Since you are using pipe and wire it must enter the panel and remain complete. Then again this requires you to work in the panel. If so turn off the main and be very careful of the main wires coming in. they will still be hot. DO NOT attempt to remove the meter to de-energize these wires!!

5- This is a good plan. Can you use flex whips to the lights by your local code. You say you are using pipe and wire, are you in Chicago?
I would NOT use cut in cans. They are too heavy for the ceiling tiles and they will sag in time if not outright break. Halo H7 type cans have great bars which can be used on framing or hooked onto ceiling grid.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:49 PM   #4

Wire size and others...

If you don't know, hire a pro. Money well spent. Beats standing in a pile of ashes trying to explain to your former buddy that you THOUGHT you knew what you were doing.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #5

Wire size and others...

You are required by the NEC to run a 20 amp circuit to a bathroom. The GFI can be a 15 amp receptacle but must be capable of passing 20 amps to devices downstream. The circuit must be for the bathroom only; it cannot lead to any receptacle, switch, or any other device outside the bathroom. However, it is acceptable to run to another bathroom on this circuit, but only devices within that bathroom. I hope this helps.
jeb stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wire size and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb stuart
I hope this helps.
I would hope they have solved this issue by now, The thread is over two years old.