Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |

wire requirements for generator cord

I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with two AC's, a computer, etc in it I use for work. I plan to power it with an 10000 watt generator.

I am wanting to make an extrension cord about 75 feet long to connect the panel in the trailer to the generator.

If I understand it correctly the generator being 10000 watts, is rated that at 240v. Thus each leg or wire only carries 5000 watts, and at 120 volts that is 42 amps. Is this correct?

This would lead me to believe that 6 guage wire would be ok?

Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. You definitely don't want to go too small but with copper prices you can't afford to buy more than you need either.

bdog1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1234 View Post
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with two AC's, a computer, etc in it I use for work. I plan to power it with an 10000 watt generator.

I am wanting to make an extrension cord about 75 feet long to connect the panel in the trailer to the generator.

If I understand it correctly the generator being 10000 watts, is rated that at 240v. Thus each leg or wire only carries 5000 watts, and at 120 volts that is 42 amps. Is this correct?

This would lead me to believe that 6 guage wire would be ok?

Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. You definitely don't want to go too small but with copper prices you can't afford to buy more than you need either.
You likely don't have an outlet on the generator rated at more than 30 A. The 10,000 watts comes from using a combination of the receptacles on it. A single cord won't be able to deliver more than 30 A, so size it to that. #10 would work, but if you expect to have a large load on it, then maybe #8.

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

It also depends on the inlet receptacle on the trailer.

Is it hard wired, or do you run cords right into the trailer?

My trailer is hard wired for power and light, with a flush recessed male plug mounted in a deep box cut into the outside of the trailer.
I flip open the cover and plug the end of a cord in. No cords running through doors.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

I have heard computers and generators don't mix well. I hope it is not true as I plan to use my computer when we have another ice storm.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #5

I have a 100 amp panel mounted inside the trailer and the extension cord will be hard wired to it. I have a small hole cut in the floor I run the wire through. I use a pipe plug to plug it off when on the road.

As to the computer I have it set up on a UPS of sorts. The computer is plugged in to a 1000 watt xantrex prosine inverter, connected to an optima battery, charged by a multisatge battery charger. This isolates the computer from power spikes and even allows it to run for up to 30 minutes or so if the generator runs out of gas, we need to change the oil on it, etc.
bdog1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1234 View Post
I have a 100 amp panel mounted inside the trailer and the extension cord will be hard wired to it. I have a small hole cut in the floor I run the wire through. I use a pipe plug to plug it off when on the road.
Then simply size the cord according to the receptacle it will be plugged into.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Sparrky

when you go get your wire . . .get the SO cord material ( Extension cord material ) becuase it is starnded with much finer starnds...many more strands and carries more current than using basic commercial Copper stranded . . . . . .I have a similar situation but did install a plug box ..and an extention cord of stranded copper would be stolen the first night . .

Yes computers do not like the box or square wave from basic inverters
. .you have the same set-up ..inverter wise ...to provide true sine wave for computer...charging tool packs etc

Kingsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote