Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

wire required for baseboard heater

I am roughing in the wire for a baseboard heater to be installed later... wondering what size of wire is required?

Any suggestions for a baseboard heater for our cottage, we only need to keep the cement floor above freezing, and cracking therefore we need one with its own thermostat, and it must go very low (just above freezing)

thanks

handy Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

The wiring size will depend on the voltage, the size of the heater (wattage). And low temp thermostats are available for just about any application. They are often referred to as "freeze stats"

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

So, for something like this, 1000w baseboard

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1000...r-white/901495

We could just install this thermostat, and we could set it to very low, just above freezing with this product?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/buil...tat-kit/901504

How do you know how many watts you need? This is for at our Northern Ontario Cottage (North Bay) and we do not want the pad of cement to crack during the winter, and maybe turn it on in the spring if someone is sleeping in that basement bedroom. The rooms are: workshop 12x8 and bedroom 12x18.

thanks so much for your help
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

A very general rule is 50W per foot of exterior wall for living spaces, assuming average insulation, a cold climate, and an average number of windows. 20W per foot may be fine for good insulation, fewer windows, and a milder climate. The more wall area you cover with baseboard heat, the less wattage per foot is required because it's more efficiently distributed. You definitely want it on the exterior walls (only) and especially under all windows.

You can't really go wrong with too much baseboard heat, because the thermostat will only turn it on when needed. Your energy cost will be the same regardless of how much wattage you install.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
handy Ken (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy Ken View Post
we only need to keep the cement floor above freezing, and cracking therefore we need one with its own thermostat, and it must go very low (just above freezing)
Why are you concerned about the slab? Concrete slabs don't crack as a result of freezing. When you did the concrete did you insulate the slab on the sides and bottom?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #6

What size of wire would be required for 1500W, cause that seems to be the way we will have to go...

The bedroom has one outside 18' wall (all exposed) well insulated, one 12' wall being shared with the heated workshop, the other 12' wall is more than 3/4 undersground, and the remaining 18' is 1/2 underground and top 1/2 backs onto and uninsulated crawl space. Like I mentioned before this room will most likely never need to be heated to use, as it is a spare bedroom, but then if someone does come up in the spring or the fall, we would like the option of being able to warm it up... wintertime out of the question!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

We are worried about the slab cracking because of the high quantity of large rock we are sitting on. (more rock than dirt) we did prep the slab the best we could given the conditions we are in. We dug down, and removed all visible rocks (some being 42" dia x 24" deep!!) and then added 2-3" of crushed stone, then 1" foam 4x8 sheets of pink, and then 3" of cement, all mixed by hand, as the cement truck cannot make it to the cottage!!

The floor will be in poured in three sections 8x12, 9x12, 9x12, but all joined together.

Why are you saying it will not crack?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
I=E/R

Quote:

Why are you saying it will not crack?
I'm not saying it won't crack. Cracks and concrete go together
Concrete doesn't crack from freezing, it cracks from other forces but it sounds like you've done some prep work. Is the floor below the frost line which in Canada is probably a minimum of four feet?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
I=E/R

I have Cadet baseboard heat in my new house. Cadet literature says 10 watts per sq. ft. for older building and 6 watts per sq. ft. for newer buildings with efficient insulation. I'm at 7 watts per sq. ft. and in Minnesota and didn't have any problems last winter.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #10

No, it is not below the frost line..... could never dig that deep! The back wall is about 4 feet below the ground, so close to below frost, but the front wall is a walkout patio door.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
I=E/R

You are in Canada so I don't know about any code requirements but I'd say to run all your wiring with #12.
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
handy Ken (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

Just curious, are you a pilot, or do you just like planes? Our son is a AME
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
I=E/R

Quote:
Just curious, are you a pilot, or do you just like planes? Our son is a AME
I spent the better part of my 11 years on active duty maintaining the A7 electronics. The later version had some pretty advanced electronics for the time. I was an AQ which has now been consolidated with the AT rating. The A7 was phased out during the '80s and replaced by the F/A18 Hornet.
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
handy Ken (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Licensed electrician

Since heat rises the use of a baseboard heater will do little if anything to keep the slab temperature up.