Wire Passing Through Punch-out - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wire passing through punch-out

According to code, is it proper under code to have a regular wire (romex) pass through a punchout of a metal box with no clamp, grommet or anything else? If not consistent with code, would you have an NEC citation? (I'm asking actual code and not just good technique.)

Advertisement

RatHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathome View Post
according to code, is it proper under code to have a regular wire (romex) pass through a punchout of a metal box with no clamp, grommet or anything else? If not consistent with code, would you have an nec citation? (i'm asking actual code and not just good technique.)
314.17 (b)

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
RatHome (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Here's a snap of the code:

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secutanudu For This Useful Post:
RatHome (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Thanks. Homeowners shouldn't have to teach professionals but sometimes we do.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatHome View Post
Those people you are referencing are not professionals...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (03-22-2013), electures (03-22-2013), Speedy Petey (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Blank

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Homeowners sometimes have a bad habit of searching for price of a contractor versus quality of a contractor and these types of things are the result. You get what you pay for. Hire a hack at hack prices and you should expect hack work.
Baxter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter01 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter01 View Post
Homeowners sometimes have a bad habit of searching for price of a contractor versus quality of a contractor and these types of things are the result. You get what you pay for. Hire a hack at hack prices and you should expect hack work.

This is a remodel situation. The general contractor is well regarded and selected on referral. The non-electrical parts are going fine and appear to have very good workmanship. The electrical subcontractor is a different story. But, I think that we drew this electrician based on our project having so little electrical work.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
According to code, is it proper under code to have a regular wire (romex) pass through a punchout of a metal box with no clamp, grommet or anything else? If not consistent with code, would you have an NEC citation? (I'm asking actual code and not just good technique.)
The only time you can is if it is Low voltage like Coax for CATV/HPNA, or Ethernet wiring. Everything else needs to be secured.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter01 View Post
I am dealing with that right now with a friend's place. Went over to help change out some outlets, Romex from various periods. Oh the fun it is going to be. First quote she got was 1,000 to 1500.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Blank

Quote:
This is a remodel situation. The general contractor is well regarded and selected on referral. The non-electrical parts are going fine and appear to have very good workmanship. The electrical subcontractor is a different story. But, I think that we drew this electrician based on our project having so little electrical work.
So instead of choosing an electrical contractor based on referrals or reputation you hired someone who was more affordable based on the volume of work? I guess I am struggling with the logic. Very well regarded and competitively priced electricians will also take small jobs.

The thing that gets me is the homeowner gets to choose who does their work. If they don't research and hire a cheap sub then they should realize their decisions have consequences. You made the decision to have that person do your work. In a perfect world everyone would do great work but that ultimately isn't the case.

That said, making a blanket statement about homeowners having to teach contractors is disrespectful to all the contractors you asked your question to on this forum. Those who know their business well do not need homeowners "helping" with code.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxter01 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-22-2013), Speedy Petey (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

We did not hire the electrician. The electrician was imposed on us by the GCs research. The GC was selected based on multiple neighbor referrals. I generally take first hand experience as the best research. In terms of price, the GC was in the middle. In terms of electrician cost, I don't have a clue because I never hired him.

So today we had a sit down with the GC. He is not an electrician and generally trusts the knowledge of a professional over a hack homeowner. Generally true but not in this case. There has been far too much wrong. This question was only one but I wasn't positive that it was a code violation. Thanks to you all for answering me.

As a result of this sit down, this electrician will not be in my house again. Again, thanks in part to you all for giving me one more error of many errors.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Blank

Quote:
We did not hire the electrician. The electrician was imposed on us by the GCs research. The GC was selected based on multiple neighbor referrals. I generally take first hand experience as the best research. In terms of price, the GC was in the middle. In terms of electrician cost, I don't have a clue because I never hired him.

So today we had a sit down with the GC. He is not an electrician and generally trusts the knowledge of a professional over a hack homeowner. Generally true but not in this case. There has been far too much wrong. This question was only one but I wasn't positive that it was a code violation. Thanks to you all for answering me.

As a result of this sit down, this electrician will not be in my house again. Again, thanks in part to you all for giving me one more error of many errors.
You made the right decision. Sounds like it was handled well. Good luck with the rest of your project. I bet your GC won't make the mistake of hiring the same sub again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter01 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (03-22-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Now I'd like to hear what are some of the "many more errors" someone outside of the field would pick up on
halfamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #14

Well, the answer has already been posted, but I would like to share the point of view of the previous owner/builder of my house, who happens to be a "master-electrician", on this subject. Attached is a photo of part of the electrical panel as I found it. There are so many violations in this box and throughout the house that I pretty much have to re-wire the whole house.

I'm having so much fun! NOT!

Cheers, Pat...
Attached Images

CanadianEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
MCB
sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter01

You made the right decision. Sounds like it was handled well. Good luck with the rest of your project. I bet your GC won't make the mistake of hiring the same sub again.
Exactly.
Good luck, indeed. A "good" GC, will have an electrician and plumber and framer and tiler and finisher, etc. that he absolutely trusts to do the job well. That's what experience does. A GC who goes through the phone book or doesn't have a regular guy or someone his regular guy recommends sounds a bit inexperienced.

Advertisement

MCB is offline   Reply With Quote