Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Share |

Wire outlet from ceiling light

I just discovered my successful basement wiring project may not have been quite so successful so I really could use your help!

I have a 7 year old construction with several lights in the basement, but only 2 outlets. My mission was to add a few more lights and 2 more 4-gang outlets (for TV and computer). The light wiring went fine. So did one of the outlets as I jumped off one of the existing outlets. However, the second outlet turns off with the light switch. I jumped off a new ceiling light to wire power the outlet. At that ceiling light I have 14-2 coming in and jump in one direction to the new outlet. I have the respective colored wires pig-tailed together then connected to the light. All of the grounds are connected and capped off as the light only had a white and black connection.

I believe what I need to do is "break" the color code. I'm just not clear as to the correct way and my Google searches are helping to clarify. I am hoping someone here has time to help. I just want to make sure it is correct and not a danger.

So in summary: I want to add a new outlet off an existing ceiling light, but I dont want the outlet to turn off with the switch. Thanks in advance for your help!

grambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

If the only source of power is switched, the receptacle will be switched also.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

feed the new outlet from the switch box if that is where the power feeds to.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
and 2 more 4-gang outlets
4 gang would look like this.
Attached Images

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
4 gang would look like this.
Sorry 2 gang
grambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

How many wires are there at the light? Just two plus the ground? Then it's very likely just a switched circuit and won't provide power when switched off. Easy to test, drop the light fixture and measure the voltage when the switch is off. If you've got voltage then the circuit is wired to the ceiling fixture first with just a switch leg down to the wall. But if you don't get voltage when the switch is off then you can't get power for an outlet.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

The quickest way to indentify it is by looking at the first junction box closest to the switch. In most case they generally are wire in switch loop format which it kinda semi common. but look at the switch itself and see how many conductors in there if you only see a single black et white nothing else then you have switch loop but if you have pair of black et white then you may have power feed there.

Few case you may find a red conductors in there. some case used for three way switch so you will have one on the top and one on bottom of stairway.

But I will give you a head up a mind twister in here a little due some case the red conductor is actually a switched source so it can use both upstair part of stairway luminaire and one at bottom of stairway luminaire.

So it will be wired few differnt way as I posted.

Merci,
Marc