Wire Nuts - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wire Nuts

I just installed new lights above my mirror in the bathroom and black and white wires come out of the fixture on the left side and the box that has the hot and neutral wires are on the right side, so when I wire nut the wires together, they don't make back into the box. Is it OK to have the wire nuts behind the fixture?

Advertisement

howard.wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Wire Nuts

If I understand what you are saying, you have wire nutted the hot and neutral outside the box. If that is what you are saying, no it is not code, and it is not safe. All connections must be made inside an approved box. If the wire is not long enough, your options include running a new wire from the panel to the fixture, or installing an accessible junction box to make the connection.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Wire Nuts

Do you know how the wires are terminated within a fixture? My only option would be to run longer wires from the fixture so it reaches the existing box.
howard.wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Wire Nuts

this sounds really messed up. pictures please?

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wire Nuts

First thing pics please .,

Second thing some lightbar or luminaires itself have build in junction box room so some can get awawy without a junction box however that is kinda a grey area depending on how it run.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,050

Wire Nuts

What I would do: Open the back of the fixture. Cut a length of 12-2* cable to reach from the junction box to enter the fixture through its wire opening. Inside the fixture, splice the wires together.

Caution, the cable must not pass through an opening with sharp edges. You may need to enlarge the wire opening to fit a larger grommet inside so the (larger) 12-2 cable can pass through. The fixture may have a 5/8 inch round hole with a bend-off cover in which you can put a Romex cable clamp as an alternative to using the small hole where the fixture's own wires came out.

* If the light is fed by a 15 amp 14 gauge cabled circuit that does not serve receptacles in the bathroom then you can use 14-2.

Advertisement