Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wire nut melted in switchbox....?

I discovered a charred wire nut which was on 3 white wires....but with that said I also noticed the wires to that switch (screw terminals) were loose. Along with this I overloaded the circuit with a heater. I cut back the wires which were damaged and inserted the wires into the back of the switch instead and rewired everything. Everything is working again, but I wanted to know why the circuit didn't trip the fuse, but I guess with the possible loose connection---it wouldn't happen...Am I on the right track...I justed wanted to be sure I was being safe.

ruckerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I never use the back stabs, not even on switches
Loose wires will do it
An arc fault breaker would have tripped
Power limit of breaker was not reached...so it did not trip

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,004

Two votes for "no back-stabbing". Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,130

You can burn up connection without overloading the ciruit.

Another vote for no back stabs. They are also a common cause of bad connections.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You can burn up connection without overloading the ciruit.

Another vote for no back stabs. They are also a common cause of bad connections.
As a matter of fact, they've been disallowed on receptacles that use #12 wiring, as in NYC for the past Ten years. But it's funny. It has been determined (by those who decide such matters) that #14 wire is not a problem. Only #12, comes loose after a while.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How big is the heater you plunked on and what amount of electricity was it it drawing? What else is on the circuit that you know of at the same time it was running? The heater is plugged into a $.39 outlet?

I agree with no back stabs.

I would be tempted to buy a new circuit breaker switch for $5 or whatever and check to make sure wires for it at the box have not come loose.

Actually, I would call my electricians. News of electrical things melting always makes me nervous and it is well worth the $4/hour the union company I use charges to come out.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
How big is the heater you plunked on and what amount of electricity was it it drawing? What else is on the circuit that you know of at the same time it was running? The heater is plugged into a $.39 outlet?

I agree with no back stabs.

I would be tempted to buy a new circuit breaker switch for $5 or whatever and check to make sure wires for it at the box have not come loose.

Actually, I would call my electricians. News of electrical things melting always makes me nervous and it is well worth the $4/hour the union company I use charges to come out.
When I started apprenticing as an electrician (circa 1969), Journeymen were being paid $6.00 an Hour. It must have been in another Century!!! I'm certain you omitted a Zero. ($4 as opposed to $40.00/Hour)

Last edited by spark plug; 12-17-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Expanding on an idea!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
When I started apprenticing as an electrician (circa 1969), Journeymen were being paid $6.00 an Hour. It must have been in another Century!!! I'm certain you omitted a Zero. ($4 as opposed to $40.00/Hour)
Was just kidding. The electricians I use are paid quite nicely and quite a bit more than $40/hour! Worth every penny in my opinion but I get reminded at times this is a DIY site. I guess I just would not trust melting wire nuts to an online source of advice that couldn't take an electrical tester of some kind to the situation. And with a motto on the company trucks like, "Let Us Get Into Your Shorts?"

Last edited by user1007; 12-18-2009 at 12:20 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Was just kidding. The electricians I use are paid quite nicely and quite a bit more than $40/hour! Worth every penny in my opinion but I get reminded at times this is a DIY site. I guess I just would not trust melting wire nuts to an online source of advice that couldn't take an electrical tester of some kind to the situation. And with a motto on the company trucks like, "Let Us Get Into Your Shorts?"
That's a nice, attention grabbing slogan, for sure. But too risqe. I wouldn't put it on any of my trucks! But as you mention that you "Wouldn't trust an online source of advice..."! Sometimes, the problem is more with the person on the receiving end, rather than with the source of advice. Also, someone has to know when it's time to call in the Pro-s on the local level. But more than 90% of problems can be resolved through the combination of the skilled advice givers on this site and the basic electrical and mechanical proficiency of the DIY'ers who seek advice online. (No matter what) Don't drink and Drive, Ever!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 12-19-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Failed to Capitalize (a)