Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

Wire hardwired fixture to plug

I have an 8ft 4 tube F32T8 fluorescent striplight that is going to be mounted on the ceiling of a bedroom. The house has no ceiling wiring that is accessible easily.

Can I put a grounded cord on the fixture and put a pullchain on it? I would be running the cord down the wall (yup, just hanging there) and plug it into an outlet.

If so, size of cord? Many shoplights I see have thin, little, flat 18 gauge high tempature wire. This doesn't sound so safe to me, even know the fluorescent lights only take about 100watts. Thoughts?

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

The folks at the head shop know all about grow lights. Really. An 8' strip in a bedroom?

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Well, its half bedroom and half rec. room. I need really bright light in there for projects.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
... Many shoplights I see have thin, little, flat 18 gauge high tempature wire. This doesn't sound so safe to me, even know the fluorescent lights only take about 100watts...
The common shoplight fluorescent ballast draws less than 1 amp. 18ga is more than adequate for them. But the manufacturer gets a UL listing for them too.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Someone at HomeDepot said I could buy a regular work cord, and cut the female end off with the length I want, wire it to the ballast leads, and put a romex clamp at the end, but I really don't want orange running down the top of the ceiling and wall.

Would something like this work? Using the same directions above. Looks like the same (if heavier) cord they use on shoprights.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I know how to wire things, I am great at almost anything thats hanywork, I have even wired my own shed up, but I ALWAYS ask people for there opinions first. I just feel "better" then.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59
Someone at HomeDepot said I could buy a regular work cord, and cut the female end off with the length I want, wire it to the ballast leads, and put a romex clamp at the end, but I really don't want orange running down the top of the ceiling and wall.

Would something like this work? Using the same directions above. Looks like the same (if heavier) cord they use on shoprights.

I know how to wire things, I am great at almost anything thats hanywork, I have even wired my own shed up, but I ALWAYS ask people for there opinions first. I just feel "better" then.
Nooooooooo! Repeat after me:
I will not take electrical advice from anyone working at HD or Lowes or Canadian Tire or any other big box store.

Do not butcher an extension cord....
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
I=E/R

Go to HD and search on Wiremold or use the menus in the electrical.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59
Well, its half bedroom and half rec. room. I need really bright light in there for projects.
You need to check if code allows this but you can buy wall mounted channels to run the wire through then paint to match your walls.
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Nooooooooo! Repeat after me:
I will not take electrical advice from anyone working at HD or Lowes or Canadian Tire or any other big box store.

Do not butcher an extension cord....
WOW! So much for the guy in the store saying "I've been an electrician for 8yrs." CHeeez!
So what should I use?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems View Post
You need to check if code allows this but you can buy wall mounted channels to run the wire through then paint to match your walls.
I am really not concerned about color, what ever I get I am just going to paint right over anyways. Its just going to dangle there about 8 feet to an outlet. Sounds good to keep it more tidy though.

By saying half bedroom/half rec. room, I mean half is bedroom, half is where I work on crafts, and another corner is where I have a work desk. Its about a 12ft by 14ft room.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
I am really not concerned about color, what ever I get I am just going to paint right over anyways. Its just going to dangle there about 8 feet to an outlet. Sounds good to keep it more tidy though.

By saying half bedroom/half rec. room, I mean half is bedroom, half is where I work on crafts, and another corner is where I have a work desk. Its about a 12ft by 14ft room.
A7E mentioned wiremold, I'll second that, works very well for your type situation, just put an outlet on the ceiling. Here's a video
http://ext.homedepot.com/video/?bcpi...d=109458734001

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #12

Well, researching wiremold, and it was too expensive and too much for such a small project that I needed done. I went back to HD looking for a cord, and found a replacement power cord that did the trick! Works great. No butchering an extension cord.

It has a clamp at the end of the light for the wire, and it just hangs down the wall (kinda held) with a small staple here and there down to the outlet so it doesn't flop around.

This was the only thing I could find and do as there was no wiring in the attic that I could use.