Wire Gauge For Garage Recepticals - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wire gauge for garage recepticals

I would like to add recepticals in garage for table saw, mitre saw, vacuum, etc. Also have a small welder which calls for a 20 amp circuit. It is 70 ft from circuit breaker to garage. The total distance(from circuit breaker to end of run) of each circuit will be just over 100 ft. I plan to install two 20 amp circuits for recepticals and use the existing for some additional lighting.

I do not want to install a subpanel in the garage.

What gauge wire should I use for the new circuits?

Is 10 gauge wire overkill?

Advertisement

titaniumring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumring View Post
I would like to add recepticals in garage for table saw, mitre saw, vacuum, etc. Also have a small welder which calls for a 20 amp circuit. It is 70 ft from circuit breaker to garage. The total distance(from circuit breaker to end of run) of each circuit will be just over 100 ft. I plan to install two 20 amp circuits for recepticals and use the existing for some additional lighting.

You are best off putting in a sub panel though, 60 amp sub with #4. would not want to recommend running the 2 new circuits but if you are determined to.

The #10 awg would be good especially since it is such a long run, good rule of thumb is 100' go up in wire size.

Put the welder on its own circuit or dont have anything else running at the same time.

Advertisement

jddavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 516

Is this an attached or detached garage? If detached, you are only allowed either one circuit, or one Multi-wire branch circuit (two circuits sharing a neutral, from a double pole breaker)
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

I know you don't like to heard this one but the way you will add two more circuit you have no choice but go with subpanel set up due the code only allowed one MWBC ONLY { Multi Wire Branch Circuit } which it will share with a single netural conductor.

The most common one I have see using a 60 amp 12 or 16 space subpanel I know you may not like the cost but compared what you have to retrench it again with larger conductors anyway.

And the amout of load you descrbing that really push the 4.0mm˛{#12 AWG} right to the limit anyway with that distance.

Just trust us I know how powerfull the 120 volt welder will run that need delicated 20 amp circuit nothing else on that unit that why I really recommend that get subpanel set up and you will not have to worry about anything will trip { if you stay with small MWBC you will end up go back in the house and reset the breaker }.

For 60 amp subpanel you can use 16mm˛ { #6 AWG } copper conductors otherwise if you going with alum conductor you have to bump up to 25mm˛ (#4 AWG )

Yeah you will have to sink the ground rods for subpanel unless this is a attached garage then it will be diffrent story.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, this is an attached garage. The long distance is because the main panel is, of course, on the opposite corner of the house.
titaniumring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick responses.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, this is an attached garage. The long distance is because the main panel is, of course, on the opposite corner of the house.
Now that will make it much easier to deal with it.

You have a choice either subpanel or run few circuits to the garage all it depending on the basement is finshed or not.

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage wire new