Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Newbie willing to work

Share |

Wire gauge / circuit breaker and metal clad to Romex

I have a 15 amp circuit which I understand should use 14 gauge wire.

The circuit goes to my attic. I have gutted the attic to re-do the insulation. All the walls are open, so now is a good time to update the wiring.

The original wiring is metal clad. I want to run Romex.

There are currently 3 outlets and 2 fixtures. I won't add outlets or fixtures. But I'd like to move one of the fixtures (different thread for later).

I'm not sure if this is a factor or just additional information... Some new wiring (Romex) was added to the house a couple years ago. But I'm pretty sure those outlets and fixtures are the only things on that circuit. I will verify. But if there's something else running off that circuit does that affect how to re-wire the attic ??

Should I re-wire all the way back to the circuit box??

Or can I just re-wire back to first junction box in the attic (the original metal clad wire still goes into the first junction box) ??

Thanks, all.

FileOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Does the metal clad wiring have a bare 14 gauge wire or a straight metal strip running through?

If not then you do not have an adequate equipment grounding conductor (ground wire) accompanying the hot and neutral and you should decommission the clad section(s) and replace with Romex.

Provided that the metal clad sections are properly secured to metal boxes or clamps at each end and other EGC's are properly attached to the boxes and each other, the bare wire or metal strip inside a clad section does not have to extend out long enough to be wire nutted to other EGC's.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rats and other similar varmits can not chew through metal-clad cables. But romex is fair game for them.

So be careful if you want to install NM sheathed cables in areas that may require the tougher stuf.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Mc by definition has it's own ground wire, that being said do you have mc or ac?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Newbie willing to work

My house was built in 1949/1950. The 2 wires inside are sheathed in hard rubber. My understanding it is MC (not AC). And the outlets (original metal boxes) are grounded.

Good point re: pests
I had mice. But I have been (and will continue to be) very aggressive with them. They seemed to have gotten in the house by climbing the leaders/gutters. They got in the attic through the gap where the gable meets the exterior wall (don't have soffits). My roof has been re-shingled and there are new leaders/ leaf proof gutters. The ice shield is folded over the end of the gable so the gap is covered.

Getting back to the wiring, I guess as long as I don't do anything stupid... ???
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

You probably have the old style "BX", or type AC (armor covered) cable. Wire installed from that era should probably be replaced, if there is not any bonding strips present. Even though you read a ground connection, it may not hold up under catastrophic fault conditions.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Code05 (03-01-2012), FileOpen (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Newbie willing to work

OK. Thanks KB !!!!