Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Wire Fishing Tricks?

HI;

I've been having pretty good luck with fishing. I have a flat tape, fiber fish sticks, flex bit and extension, glow stick - fiber fish stick, fiber tape, etc.

The one think I am getting stuck on is I have some spaces where I need to go up the wall and into the attic, well, I can drill up into the attic with the extension bit, but the attic space is tiny, maybe 4 inches at one end and 8 inches at the other, so no room to crawl in. Once I drill through with a extension flex bit, how can I get the wire up or down through that hole? It is about a 10X15' room and I have one access point in the attic in the middle, so I will have to reach with fish stick. I just can't figure out how to get something up the hole I drilled, since there is no way I can pull the flex bit up through there with the limited space available. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Many of those flex bits have a fishin' hole near the tip.

Simply take a small wire, such as a doorbell type, and form a hook shape in the end. Loosely tape it to the end of a 10-foot pole (" EMT can do nicely). Use this extension pole to help you to carefully thread the wire into the hole of your bit that is extended into the attic space.

Once you have the bell wire threaded thru the end of the d'versibit, then slowly reverse the drill, twisting the wire tight into the bit, and retracting it back down the wall at the same time. It will pull that doorbell wire down along with it, giving you a pull string to work with.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #3

Wire Fishing Tricks?

How long is the flex bit and extension combo you are using and what diameter. Also what size of cable are you fishing up the hole?Are you fishing through an insulated or uninsulated wall or is teh wall open below
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Wire Fishing Tricks?

If you use a very small jack chain or the chain found on (pull chain fixtures) it will fall into the hole from above and you can find it below with an extending magnetic pickup tool.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #5

Wire Fishing Tricks?

I have used a fishing weight the same way as it will drop plumb in an open wall. But the chain might be even better since it will sag down into the hole if it doesn't hit dead center.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
I have used a fishing weight the same way as it will drop plumb in an open wall. But the chain might be even better since it will sag down into the hole if it doesn't hit dead center.
Exactly. Just throw it new the hole and wiggle, the gravity will pull it it into the hole. You can also tie the magnetic pick up to your long drill bit from below and catch it at the top of the hole. Use the chain to pull in a string then the fish tape so it is not lost when pulling the wire around the tight turn in the attic.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
DIY'er

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Quote:
How long is the flex bit and extension combo you are using and what diameter. Also what size of cable are you fishing up the hole?Are you fishing through an insulated or uninsulated wall or is teh wall open below
Insulated walls. 5/8" bit, about 12' with the extension. Romex 12-2 with ground.
Thanks
Jamie

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
DIY'er

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Many of those flex bits have a fishin' hole near the tip.

Simply take a small wire, such as a doorbell type, and form a hook shape in the end. Loosely tape it to the end of a 10-foot pole (" EMT can do nicely). Use this extension pole to help you to carefully thread the wire into the hole of your bit that is extended into the attic space.

Once you have the bell wire threaded thru the end of the d'versibit, then slowly reverse the drill, twisting the wire tight into the bit, and retracting it back down the wall at the same time. It will pull that doorbell wire down along with it, giving you a pull string to work with.
Thanks. I am pretty sure there is a small hole on my bit. The challenge will be to thread it from the small space in the attic.

Thanks
Jamie

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
DIY'er

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Quote:
I have thought about the chain, but can't figure out how to get it across the ceiling (in the attic space that is only about 8" high or so) and them to get it down the hole. Also the walls are filled with insulation, and I don't think it would drop down very well.

I'm keeping the chain idea in mind for other situations though.

Jamie

Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #10

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Fishing 101???? Tie or tape a loop or bulge of high test fishing line to the tip of your bit in a way that it can spring open when it's passed through the top plate. Lying flat reach out and snag it with a coat hanger or your fishing rod. Use a bit smaller than 5/8 for the tip then the loop will feed through the 5/8 hole and bulge open..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Wire Fishing Tricks?

It will not work in walls that are insulated. On outside walls I just make a small slice on the drywall at the wall/ceiling run the wire, using quick dry patching compound (10min) sand finish coat, prime, paint.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
DIY'er

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Quote:
Fishing 101???? Tie or tape a loop or bulge of high test fishing line to the tip of your bit in a way that it can spring open when it's passed through the top plate. Lying flat reach out and snag it with a coat hanger or your fishing rod. Use a bit smaller than 5/8 for the tip then the loop will feed through the 5/8 hole and bulge open..

Ok, Cool, thanks I understand what your saying. The flex bit I have is molded to the flex rod. I might have to get a different one with am interchangeable bit.

Thanks
Jamie

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #13

Wire Fishing Tricks?

It might still clear if you spiral the fishing line through the thread
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Licensed Pro

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Any access from outside through the soffitt? You could cut a hole there, do all your fishing, then either patch or cover with an exterior vent. Or, just go ahead and cut another hole in the ceiling and patch when finished.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Newbie Bill

Wire Fishing Tricks?

Newbie here with no experience, but with a suggestion.

Tie the fishing line onto the drill bit. Don't wrap it too tight along the length of the bit. And you may want to ensure you wrap it around the drill bit in the opposite direction of rotation. That way it will not get tighter on the bit as you drill the hole. Hopefully it will not come loose when drilling through the top plate.

Leave the drill bit protruding through the hole. Then with your fish tape, (is that what they call that wire with the little hook on the end?) reach across the attic and snag the fishing line with the tape and pull the slack of the fishing line towards you.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 01-23-2009 at 10:43 AM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote