Wire Fishing/pulling - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Jack of All Trades

Rewards Points: 75

Wire fishing/pulling

When I rewired my garage I had to disconnect some 14 gauge lines since the breaker was 20A and I didn't want to downgrade to 15A. Now I am looking to replace those 14g wires with some 12g wire, the one I'm doing first exits the garage in the corner of the ceiling, runs over through the attached breezeway's attic space (no way to access unless I tear the ceiling out) and then it runs out the corner of that attic space into some metal conduit running along the back wall of the house to a exterior light. It's hard to describe but it's actually a pretty straight-line run, no real bends or kinks, all in all about 15 ft of cable. I have tested and it does seem that I might be able to pull the wire from either end (seems to move fairly freely in conduit) but my question is how to best "mesh" the end of the old line with the new line so they don't pull apart when I'm pulling?

Advertisement

DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Electromagician

Wire fishing/pulling

why change the wire? whats the load on the circuit? if you need more capacity adding a 15 amp circuit and splitting the load gives you 50% more capacity than the one 20 amp circuit.

Advertisement

powerfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Wire fishing/pulling

I would just hook the ends of two wires from each cable to one another and twist (like creating a chain loop) and then cover with some electrical tape. Give it a test pull before you start so it doesn't come apart where you can't fix the break.
Powerfactor has a point but you'll still have to fish a new line either way you do it; could pull two #12 cables and be ready for anything if it is only 15', cost is minimal.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Jack of All Trades

Wire fishing/pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfactor View Post
why change the wire? whats the load on the circuit? if you need more capacity adding a 15 amp circuit and splitting the load gives you 50% more capacity than the one 20 amp circuit.
Everything I've been reading says you can't have 14g on a 20A circuit even if it's just for lighting which is all this is. (I have 12g from panel to garage, previous owner wired 14g out to exterior lights from there). I don't need any more capacity just trying to make the wiring legal and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I would just hook the ends of two wires from each cable to one another and twist (like creating a chain loop) and then cover with some electrical tape. Give it a test pull before you start so it doesn't come apart where you can't fix the break.
Powerfactor has a point but you'll still have to fish a new line either way you do it; could pull two #12 cables and be ready for anything if it is only 15', cost is minimal.
Thanks for the description, that's what I tried to do, having a hard time keeping the wires from "bulging" out though, think I'm going to try just twisting 2 instead of all 3.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Electromagician

Wire fishing/pulling

Seems like a lot of trouble to keep from buying a fifteen amp breaker.
Do you actually know that you need a twenty amp circuit?
powerfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Wire fishing/pulling

I "mesh" my bundles together by adding a scrap piece of bare wire, wrapping the end twice with duct tape, flipping the roll over (so the sticky side faces outward), wrapping down about 6 inches, flipping the roll back, and then wrapping back to the starting point.

When ou finish the pull, you only have to remove a small piece of the tape at the start point, grasp the bare wire and tug. The rest of the tape will split right open.

I don't bother twisting, since it adds considerable girth and creates more places where it can easily snag.

Edit: Similar to this.

Last edited by Thadius856; 07-22-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Adding visual link
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Jack of All Trades

Wire fishing/pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfactor View Post
Seems like a lot of trouble to keep from buying a fifteen amp breaker.
Do you actually know that you need a twenty amp circuit?
Don't know what you run in your garage, but I'd be lucky to get by with just the two 20A lines I have. Just my compressor draws 14.5 continuous load, not to mention my saws, etc. It's a balancing act as it is, I don't see why I'd reduce its capacity to save 15ft of rewiring.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wire fishing/pulling

what does the wire do when it gets to the light or is it the feed to the light?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Jack of All Trades

Wire fishing/pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius856 View Post
I "mesh" my bundles together by adding a scrap piece of bare wire, wrapping the end twice with duct tape, flipping the roll over (so the sticky side faces outward), wrapping down about 6 inches, flipping the roll back, and then wrapping back to the starting point.

When ou finish the pull, you only have to remove a small piece of the tape at the start point, grasp the bare wire and tug. The rest of the tape will split right open.

I don't bother twisting, since it adds considerable girth and creates more places where it can easily snag.

Edit: Similar to this.
lol, jesus, I can only hope I never have to pull wire that big! Anyways, already got it pulled tonight, just clipped off the ground wires and twisted the other two together then doubled them over themselves and squeezed the crap out of it to make it the same diameter as the rest of the wire. Even sprayed a light lube on the tape so it wouldn't "grip" anything. Pulled right through! Just gotta wire up the ends tomorrow! Left a loop of slack in the breezeway attic too, old lady wants a light in there so I will at least have the wire there if I get around to it.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Jack of All Trades

Wire fishing/pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
what does the wire do when it gets to the light or is it the feed to the light?
Just runs out from garage to the light, that's it. Also wanted to ditch the old 14/2 wire because it's dry rotting or something, and it's old enough that the sheathing is some sort of rubberized black cloth material.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 164

Wire fishing/pulling

I want to pull 105' of # 1 thhn ( 3pcs) and one #6 to my subpanel , it has 3 - 90's .
any suggestions for What is the best way to tape and pull the wire ?
if I use the mesh wrap Klein sells do I attach it to one wire and then tape the others
to it.?

Advertisement

Last edited by kt82; 07-27-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote