DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wire, Conduit and Voltage Drop Questions

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  wirenut1110 
#1 ·
I've been out of the field for quite some time and was asked by my employer to run a feed for new offices in our buildings.
Here's the first question:
The run is 95 feet and it will take a 220v, 60 amp main from the existing panel. I was going to run #6-black, red and white with a #8 ground in 1" EMT.
Am I on the right track?
Here's the second question:
In the other building there is no room for more breakers. Again, tell me if I'm on the right track. I was going to remove 2 20 amp breakers from the existing 200amp panel, install a 100amp breaker and run the feed to a subpanel. At the subpanel I'll install the 2 20amp breakers along with the 60amp breaker needed to feed the new offices.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

#3 ·
As far as a license is concerned (it was a BIG concern of mine) they are planning on having someone, a licensed friend, to come in and inspect the work. I guess he'll put his name on it. I've done tons of electrical work in the past but been out of the trade for about 12 years now. I know how important it is for things to be right. That's why I posted here.
As for my employer, he likes everything to be legit so I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes to keep it legal.

So, a 100' run with #6 is fine for a 60amp circuit?

Thank you for your help.

#5 · (Edited)
You need an electrician to do commercial work, just about everywhere.

This is making no sense to me.....

Again, tell me if I'm on the right track. I was going to remove 2 20 amp breakers from the existing 200amp panel, install a 100amp breaker and run the feed to a subpanel. At the subpanel I'll install the 2 20amp breakers along with the 60amp breaker needed to feed the new offices.
You also need to check about what voltages your dealing with. you could very well be in a 200 amp 120Y208 panel which is ok but you need to know what your doing.

#9 ·
This is making no sense to me.....
Wow! Is it really that confusing??

He's going to remove 2-20 amp breakers from the main panel to make room for a new 100 amp breaker to feed a 100 amp panel. Off that new 100 amp sub panel he's going to feed the 2-20 amp circuits, he removed to make room for the 100 amp breaker, and feed another 60 amp sub panel off of that for the "office".
Thanks, wirenut!

I really like doing this kind of work and have the utmost respect for you guys that have taken it to the furthest level. I left the trade to pursue a different career.
When I did it for a living it was 90% industrial. Most of the conduit we ran was aluminum and galvanized. We ran everything from 1/2" to 4" and wire up to 750 mcm.
My employer has knowledge of my background and politly asked if I would be interested. If you're the kind of person who likes a challenge and get the chance, you would probably jump at the opportunity as well.
I know that when I did this work daily and was asked to do side jobs I didn't really want to.
I have the confidence to do the job safetly and correctly. I wouldn't take it on if I didn't feel good about it. I just had a few questions and wanted to check with those who had more knowledge to varify my plans.
My plans we correct aside from conduit size and ground wire size. Neither of which would have posed a code or safety threat.
Thank you guys for your time.

#7 · (Edited)
He's going to remove 2-20 amp breakers from the main panel to make room for a new 100 amp breaker to feed a 100 amp panel. Off that new 100 amp sub panel he's going to feed the 2-20 amp circuits, he removed to make room for the 100 amp breaker, and feed another 60 amp sub panel off of that for the "office".

#10 ·
Don't forget about that no more than 360 deg in bends without a pull box, fitting etc. Conduit needs to be strapped within 3' of a box/fitting and within 10' thereafter. Again, code is minimum so if you want more support, feel free to do so.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.