DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wire colors to a switch

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SD515 
#1 ·
If I use a piece of NM 2 wire to a switch that I am sending 2 hot wires to, is that OK to do if I tape both ends of the white wire with black tape to indicate it is hot?

i.e.

Switch > 2 wire NM > Power > Lights

Jamie

#2 ·
Wiring methods aside, you are required to properly color-indicate conductors. If you're using a white wire as a phase conductor, it needs to be colored black or red. Tape is ideal, but many inspectors will allow permanent marker as well, provided the wire in the box is reasonably colored.

Just be sure you're not switching the neutral.

#5 ·
I have always been told, don't know if it is code or not, to feed the switch with the white and "back on black" with the hot. In your situation it really does not make a difference. If your junction box was a light then you would want to do "back on Black" for there weren't two white wires on the light.

#6 ·
No Jamie, in your illustration, the white would be re-identified at both ends and hooked to the source black to feed the switch.

Short version of what the '05 NEC says...

200.7 Use of Insulation of a White or Gray Color or with Three Continuous White Stripes.
(A)General. The following shall be used only for the grounded circuit conductor, unless otherwise permitted in 200.7(B) and 200.7(C):
(C) Circuits of 50 volts or more.
(2) Where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor for single pole, 3-way, or 4-way switch loops and the conductor with white or gray insulation or a marking of three continuous white stripes is used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from the switch to the switched outlet. In these applications, the conductor with white or gray insulation or with three continuous stripes shall be permanently re-identified to indicate its use by painting or other effective means at its terminations and at each location where the conductor is visible and accessible.

I can post the rest of 200.7 if anyone wants to see it...I just didn't want to bore y'all...that bit was bad enough.
In a nutshell...you can only do it with cable (or 200.7(C)(3) is an app for cords), not conduit methods. If the white isn't going to be a neutral as part of the loop, you re-identify it and use it to feed the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.