Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Lake Forest, CA

Share |

Wire colors

Quick question for you guys.. I am installing a spa and it has 240V 60A power requirement.. I plan on running 6ga THHN wire across the approx 100' run... To run this in the proper color combination 2 Hot (black), Neutral (white), Grnd ( green) will run me about $320 at .80 cents/ft at Home Depot.. However I can buy a single color spool of 500' for $190 which comes out to .38 cents/ft. Would it be wrong to buy a black spool and use colored tape to mark the colors at the terminating ends?

tnx..

SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #2

Wire colors

You can do that but it will have to be in conduit.You might try electrical supply shop and get alot cheaper And put on GFCI Breaker

Last edited by 300zx; 05-30-2009 at 02:21 PM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

Wire colors

It's not code, but I've done it a time or two...
BTW, you should only need a #10 for the ground. At least buy green for the ground.

Last edited by jerryh3; 05-30-2009 at 02:41 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Wire colors

While this would be a violation of 250.119 and 200.6, I don't know how many hundreds (maybe thousands) of times I've used all black wire and used colored tape to identify it.

Almost all of my work is inspected, and I've yet to have anyone question it.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #5

Wire colors

http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Electricalwire.html

Check here. Prices are reasonable and you can get 6awg in black,red,white,and green
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Wire colors

With the #6 { 16mm˛} and larger you can able remarked with coloured tape however if in cable that is not a issue but for indivual conductors that can be a fineline to crossover but for myself I done that more than once and I have no issue with it and my inspectors check my work and it passed { both in Wis and Paris France locations }

To OP.,

If you order a mesure to cut conductor they will charge alot more than you can buy in spools { I know some place they will not charge extra for that } and useally get in full spool is cheaper that way and some big box store you should able get in 100 foot spools with that size.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Wire colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
With the #6 { 16mm˛} and larger you can able remarked with coloured tape however if in cable that is not a issue but for indivual conductors that can be a fineline to crossover but for myself I done that more than once and I have no issue with it and my inspectors check my work and it passed { both in Wis and Paris France locations }
The wording of the Code actually doesn't allow for #6 to be re-colored, only #4 and larger. As far as code violations go, however, this is pretty low on the list.

I'd tape a piece of #6 while sitting at the table having tea with the inspector, and not think twice about it.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #8

Wire colors

Another guy posted he found #6 at HD for 80 cents a foot. The supply house was 30 cents. You just cut your wire budget over half. Call your local supply house on Monday. Call more than one until you find the best price.
Like the others I would mark the neutral with white tape. But I would not tape the #10 ground wire green. Bite the bullet on the #10. Use green. Most supply houses will not cut #10. You could use a green #8 instead and they will cut that. And still save money.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wire colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I'd tape a piece of #6 while sitting at the table having tea with the inspector, and not think twice about it.
I love this!
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Another guy posted he found #6 at HD for 80 cents a foot. The supply house was 30 cents. You just cut your wire budget over half. Call your local supply house on Monday. Call more than one until you find the best price.
Like the others I would mark the neutral with white tape. But I would not tape the #10 ground wire green. Bite the bullet on the #10. Use green. Most supply houses will not cut #10. You could use a green #8 instead and they will cut that. And still save money.
Yup, totally agree.
Home centers might be cheaper on 12/2 and 14/2 romex, but not much else.
THHN they are MUCH higher, as you have heard.