DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

wire built-in dishwasher to hook to extension cord

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  joshvette001 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to convert a built-in dishwasher to a portable. I have the water source modified to hook to a water hose remnant so that it hooks to an adaptor on my kitchen faucet. Now, I need to go from two wires (one black and one white) to a plug that I can plug into a heavy duty extension cord. I have only limited experience with electrical wiring (replacing bad outlet or wall switch, hooking up a ceiling fan and re-wiring an old lamp). I have no idea if there are special amp/volt or grounding requirements that I would need to consider or if there are certain tools I might need. I have a feeling that this can be accomplished by me with a screwdriver and one or two parts from the hardware store, but I don't know for sure. Anybody have any advice?

Thanks, Kc

#2 ·
Hi,

I am trying to convert a built-in dishwasher to a portable. I have the water source modified to hook to a water hose remnant so that it hooks to an adaptor on my kitchen faucet. Now, I need to go from two wires (one black and one white) to a plug that I can plug into a heavy duty extension cord. I have only limited experience with electrical wiring (replacing bad outlet or wall switch, hooking up a ceiling fan and re-wiring an old lamp). I have no idea if there are special amp/volt or grounding requirements that I would need to consider or if there are certain tools I might need. I have a feeling that this can be accomplished by me with a screwdriver and one or two parts from the hardware store, but I don't know for sure. Anybody have any advice?

Thanks, Kc
There is a 4' appliance cord made for DW hook up. Go to you hardware or Big box Store and ask if the have a DW appliance cord. Or to an electrical supply house.
However an extension cord is not recommended to run a DW or any other appliance.

#3 · (Edited)
If the black and white wires are long enough, you can connect them directly to a plug. (You should use a 3 prong plug and add a green wire attached to the framework of the dishwasher for ground.) Then use your extension cord.

If you add a cord as well as a plug, the hard part is splicing the wires. YOu may have heard electricians talk about "staggered splices" that is when the wire is stretched out, the splices are a few inches apart along the wire. This may or may not be practical if the black and white wires are very short. Still better is a junction box where the cord you add goes into a clamp that will prevent yank-out. Then wire nut connections are easier to do than splices.

Reactions: purpleheart
#8 · (Edited)
If your dishwasher draws 13A or less, for a voltage drop of less than 6v [5%] along that cord you could use #16, #14 or #12, of almost any length. For a 3v drop you could use 30' of #16.
But there may be other considerations for this application.
Using a #16 is a bad idea espically for a large appliance. Of course this is my opinion.

Here is a quote from the US Consumer Protection Agency

"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that about 4,700 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 persons and injuring some 280 others."

Heres the link to the site

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5032.html

#13 ·
The only thing I have to add to this is make sure that how ever you spliced the wires that they are secured with a wire nut that is rated for the application... I would personally get a couple of waterproof wirenuts and than tape each conductor to insure that they are secured properly and there is a minimal risk of water getting into the splices if the dishwasher for some reason chooses to leak

#10 ·
thanks so much guys. I finally found a 9' appliance cord with a ground and was able to get it wired up - no more complicated than rewiring a lamp - easier actually.

i am happy to say that I have my dishwasher working for me right now.:) Next I will attempt to rig a quick connect coupling on the faucet and insulate this bad boy so i can think and wash dishes at the same time. Any suggestions on cheap materials to build a frame? I figure a plywood base and casters, but I can't decide what would be cheapest (but most sound-dampening) for the rest of the frame.

Thanks again,
Kc

#12 ·
Yeah, I have heard of these mythical used portable dishwashers. I have been searching for one for weeks and have never seen any listed in my area. The new ones are $400-500 and that is too far out of my price range as a single Mom on disability. I got this dishwasher running for under $100. Thanks for the tip, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.