Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #1

Share |

Window air conditioner

I have a direct outlet for a window AC, but it is 24.6 inches from the unit, what gauge extension cord should i use (12 or 14 gauge).

pwallyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Electrician

Window air conditioner

Depends on what size of breaker is on that plug. Go to your panel look at the breaker if it says 15 then 14 is good, if it says 20 then you will need #12.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #3

Window air conditioner

According to NFPA you should not ever use an extension cord in a permant or semi perminant manner. You should extend the circuit to within reach of the appliance's factory installed cord.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Window air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
According to NFPA you should not ever use an extension cord in a permant or semi perminant manner. You should extend the circuit to within reach of the appliance's factory installed cord.
I agree with Jwhite wholeheartedly. The installation of the dedicated receptacle should have been done in a matter so that an extension cord would not be required. The intent of the NEC is to create an installation whose safety does not rely on the general public understanding what wire guage is and how under-sized extension cords can lead to excessive voltage drop (with damage to equipment, esp. rotating loads) or excessive heating due to undersized cord wiring (and therein possible fire hazards).
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote