Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #1

Share |

Will this be OK.

I am redoing a house to sell. I am going to AFCI all applicable branch circuits 15/20 amp. My area doesn't require them yet, but I am going to sell the house and, I would prefer it to be up to date as much as possible. When I sell the house I am going to tell the buyer that some fans, and air- conditioners might trip the AFCI breakers. I have the lights on their own circuit, and the receptacles on their own circuit per room. Also designated air-conditioner circuits. I have a licensed electrician putting in the new 200 amp main as a temp for inspection, and I will pull the rest of the wires and have it inspected again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by RobertS; 03-14-2008 at 08:15 AM.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Will this be OK.

I would not waste my time or money for something that is not required.
If you start telling buyers that there circuits may trip, they will leave in a heart beat. Why add the expense, at 35-40$ each.
JMO

Old 03-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #3

Will this be OK.

I agree that you're well-intentioned but seriously asking for a peck of trouble. Don't volunteer that which is not required by law or code. It's presence will not be understood by laypeople and realtors, your efforts will not be appreciated by them and none of it will translate into a positive selling point for the prospective buyer. I respectfully suggest that you focus on the things that actually do translate into perceived value. I do punch lists for realtors and they are the best judge, after an inspection, of what actually adds value versus that which is moot.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #4

Will this be OK.

Thanks. I talked to the building inspector, and he said I won't have to tell them anything because it will all be in his inspection. He said the reason they aren't pushing the AFCI, is with all of the problems they are having people will ignore the purpose behind them, and that isn't good. Like shouting wolf to many times.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote