Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Will the inspector buy it ?

Hello from California everybody ! I just got a permit today for adding some additional lighting in the kitchen, The thing is, the inspector mentioned as I left the building Department, to open up the walls to install the new wires, fixtures and switches. UHOH... I made connections in boxes in the attic, drilled 5/8" holes in the top Plates and fished romex to those blue remodel cut in boxes for switches and gfci outlets. I guess my question is will he make me take the wall cabinets off, open the wall and staple the romex to the studs. S0MEBODY TELL ME ITS OK THE WAY I DID IT Thanks in advace for any input...Dave

Installa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #2

This sounds like a California Building Code, or local code issue. I do not know if it is required in your area or not. The person you need to ask is the inspector.

jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Like JW said, there may be some twisted local code. But, I can see NO WAY there would be a requirement to open the walls to run wires. This would be ludicrous.

Then again, this is California. They may want to force you to insulate the house because you added a light fixture.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks jwhite and Speedy Petey for your comments.. I am looking for arguments for my case should questions arise. after all, I bought those cool nail- free boxes at H.D. about a mile away. Home Depot would not sell me something that would be illegal, would they?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Electrician

My answer to if Home Depot sells illegal stuff is yes and no.

You can you buy stuff there and use it improperly and make it illegal. For example a regualr 15A/120V plug is not illegal, used in a bathroom or on a 30A with #10 wire would make that illegal to the electrical codes.

Up here in Canada we fish armoured cable down the walls all the time and our code states if it is in a finished wall it is considered supported.

Or maybe the inspector is power hungry and wants to crap all over your parade and make your life a living hell.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks darren, I see your point. Let you Guys know what happens in about a week. Dave
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
Automotive Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to Sellncars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installa
Hello from California everybody ! I just got a permit today for adding some additional lighting in the kitchen, The thing is, the inspector mentioned as I left the building Department, to open up the walls to install the new wires, fixtures and switches. UHOH... I made connections in boxes in the attic, drilled 5/8" holes in the top Plates and fished romex to those blue remodel cut in boxes for switches and gfci outlets. I guess my question is will he make me take the wall cabinets off, open the wall and staple the romex to the studs. S0MEBODY TELL ME ITS OK THE WAY I DID IT Thanks in advace for any input...Dave
You actually told them that you were adding light's inside your home? What they don't know don't hurt...Just wondering?
Sellncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars
You actually told them that you were adding light's inside your home? What they don't know don't hurt...Just wondering?
Some people like to sleep comfortably in their homes knowing that all the work done in them is up to code and correct and safe. Others take every shortcut they can find.

It is all about money, and how much your life is worth. Electricity is an equal opertunity killer. If you give it the oppertunity, it will kill someone.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Automotive Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to Sellncars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite
Some people like to sleep comfortably in their homes knowing that all the work done in them is up to code and correct and safe. Others take every shortcut they can find.

It is all about money, and how much your life is worth. Electricity is an equal opertunity killer. If you give it the oppertunity, it will kill someone.
I understand this, but it is electrical work, not rocket science. I'am not busting anyone at all, please don't take this the wrong way. I would never call an inspector and invite him/her into my home. It is bad enough what you have to go through to get stuff built outside, then come the tax man. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Sellncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #10

I am not taking what you are saying the wrong way at all. I completely understand where you are comming from.

I am just glad that I made a choice several years ago to stop living my life under the radar, and no longer have to look in my rear view mirror all the time.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
I understand this, but it is electrical work, not rocket science.
Nice.

Quote:
I'am not busting anyone at all, please don't take this the wrong way.
Too late!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Electrician

Quote:
I understand this, but it is electrical work, not rocket science.
This comes from a guy whose screen name is sellncars. Why don't you go sell your cars and let us electricians work.

The work that most people associate with electricians is easy, running wires through a wall and putting a plug on the end is easy. I could teach a 10 yr old kid to do this.

I would like to see you figure out a house calculations to know what size service you need, then figure out what size neutral and ground you need. Then where and how to run the ground. Then figure out what size pipe you need to run all this in. The list could go on for days. This is the easier stuff, like to see you figure out the load and wire size needed for a huge factory with alot motors and then try to fix the power factor so it is close to unity.

So please don't come on here and insult us electricans but trying to say what we do is easy and not that hard.

The reason you don't allow inspectors into your house is because you know he would blow a gasket over the stuff you do.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote