Will This Be To Code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Will this be to code?

I am going to be wiring an attic power vent and was hoping that I would get lucky and have a junction box up in the attic to tie into. No such luck. I do have a 14/3 running to a 3 way light that crosses through the attic. As I see it I have 2 choices but want to do it to code. 1.) I can cut the 14/3 and splice into it but I may have to have 2 junction boxes because there is no slack in the line. or 2.) Try to fish a new 14/3 down the interior wall, pull the current 14/3 up and tie together in a junction box. My fear is will I be able to get the line free because I am sure it is stapled above the box. What is the common approach and which way is up to code? Thanks

Advertisement

Ymtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Will this be to code?

Usual setup with a 14-3 light setup is that the red & black alternate being hot as the switches are thrown

You need to tie in where power feeds the lights or switches

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Will this be to code?

Is there another wire coming out of this light box? A lot of times they run a 3-wire up to the light and then come out of the light with a 2-wire going to the next receptacle. This was the way I see it done in older houses, I guess they thought it saved on wire.

In that case, you would be able to splice into the 2-wire coming out of the box. You would also be able to splice into the 3-wire, but you would have to determine which wire was hot and which wire is the switch leg.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Will this be to code?

Good point I thought of that after I posted the question. I went back up and found a 14/2 going down into the wall. At this momnet I am not sure if it is hot or switched. I will have to get up there an test. If it is hot which is to code adding a junction box with pigtails in it to make up for the lack of slack or do I need to fish down the wall with a new line and pull this line up into a junction box? This all maybe a moot point if it is switched in which case I will have to fish down to an outlet or something. Just want to do it to code.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

Will this be to code?

Proby,

No such luck. Looks like the way they did it was to run 14/2 to each light tied in at the switch box from there they ran 14/3 over to the other switch.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Electrician

Will this be to code?

Ok, so you need to find another way.

Fishing down to an outlet is a very easy task. I open up a receptacle and pull it out, I then remove the cable clamp at the top completely. Now I shove a magnet up thru one of the knock-outs in the top and leave it there. Next I measure out where the receptacle is and head up to the attic. Now I drill down thru the top plate and drop a piece of chain down until I feel it stick to the magnet. Then I tape a piece of romex to the chain and go back down and pull the romex into the box.

Where is your electrical panel, in the basement? Many times you can find a chase from the attic to the basement either by the chimney or the wet wall where the plumbing is coming thru. If you could do this, it would be best to pull in a new circuit from the panel and put a junction box in the attic. By doing this, you now have an easy spot to get power from for your next project.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

Will this be to code?

Thanks for the suggestions. Last fall I chased a plastic conduit up from the basement to the attic for cable TV runs. It would be possible to run the 14/2 in the same conduit if it wont cause interference in the cable reception. I have done a lot of wire fishing but was hoping to have that one project where things went smooth and I wouldn't need to fish wire in a summer attic.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Will this be to code?

You don't want to run power along side video cable in conduit
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Electrician

Will this be to code?

Drop a weight tied to a piece of string down the same area that you ran the pipe thru.

Advertisement