Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

wife tried to fix electrical problem :-\

when we would turn on the light in our sons room we heard what sounded like an electrical current behind the switch. sometimes we would have to push the switch up hard to get the light to come on. this was disturbing so we stopped using it for a couple of days. my wife works on f-16's and thinks she can fix anything.

she removed the light switch cover, fiddled around and electrocuted herself a little.

i fliped the circuit breaker switches all off (didnt know which went to that area of the house) and she removed the ground and replaced the light switch cover.

now the light the switch goes to wont turn on at all, the bathroom lights in the bathroom adjacent to the boys room wont turn on (although the outlets in the bathroom work) the hall way light adjacent to the boys room and bathroom wont turn on, and the stove doesnt get any electiricty either (the outlets and around the stove work fine)

we are obviously electircal-retarded. is this an issue with one of the circuits (should the answer be obvious?) ... any ideas what we can do to troubleshoot this without hiring an electrician? we dont exactly have the $$ for one right now.

mikahtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #2

Just throwing it out there. All breakers are turned back on and not tripped?

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
when we would turn on the light in our sons room we heard what sounded like an electrical current behind the switch. sometimes we would have to push the switch up hard to get the light to come on. this was disturbing so we stopped using it for a couple of days. my wife works on f-16's and thinks she can fix anything.
Remind me not to take a ride on any F-16's .... Fighter jet technicians don't automatically qualify you for residential wiring repair.

Quote:
she removed the light switch cover, fiddled around and electrocuted herself a little.
Tell her to be glad she has another day could have been much worse.

Quote:
i fliped the circuit breaker switches all off (didnt know which went to that area of the house) and she removed the ground and replaced the light switch cover... now the light the switch goes to wont turn on at all, the bathroom lights in the bathroom adjacent to the boys room wont turn on (although the outlets in the bathroom work) the hall way light adjacent to the boys room and bathroom wont turn on, and the stove doesnt get any electiricty either (the outlets and around the stove work fine)
She didn't remove a ground ... problem is you have no idea what she removed ...

The stove has nothing to do with the light switch.

Quote:
when we would turn on the light in our sons room we heard what sounded like an electrical current behind the switch. sometimes we would have to push the switch up hard to get the light to come on.
You simply had a bad light switch (it appears) in which case 2 bucks and replace with new switch exactly like the bad one was connected. Why you made it harder than that remains a mystery ...

The stove is likely not getting power because you turned it off at the breaker panel. Breakers need to be moved to the off position then to the on position when resetting. The stove is on a double pole breaker...ie...two breakers tied together with a handle.

Quote:
we are obviously electircal-retarded. is this an issue with one of the circuits (should the answer be obvious?) ... any ideas what we can do to troubleshoot this without hiring an electrician? we dont exactly have the $$ for one right now.
Problem now is do you remember how the wires were connected in the light switch box before wife fooled with them ....??

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

alrighty.... i will mess with the breaker when i get home... and make sure the wires to the switch are not hot when we try to add a new switch

anything else i should know?
mikahtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Oh Yes

Since you don't know what breaker turns the power off in that switch box ...turn the main breaker off and it wouldnt hurt to have a voltage tester and know how to use it. It might be better to solicit some help from someone with a bit more experience. Changing out a light switch is one of the easier things you will ever do but it may have went from a diy job to a job for an electrician or more knowledgable person due to the fact you have disconnected wires that have effected power getting to other areas of the house.

My opinion is other than try resetting the stove breaker you should back off trying to fix the switch and get experienced help or an electrician.

Stubbie
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

Is the stove gas or electric?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

Electric is not to be fooled with if you don't know what you are doing. I say this as a DIYer. You say she removed the ground and then put the switch back. I assume you mean she disconnected the bare copper wire from the green screw on the switch. That was not your problem and should not have been done. The ground is there for safety reasons. My guess is that inside this box there are probably at least 3 white wires wire-nutted together, at least three black wires wire-nutted together one of which is a pigtale to the switch. Then another black wire connected to the other screw on the switch. If so, it is possible that one of the the wirenut connections came loose and caused the sound you heard. Pulling the switch out could then have caused them to completely disconnect. Your situation now may be worse since you may have a live wire loose in the box. Without being there I am only guessing. As a previous poster said, do not open that switch again unless you cut power and if you don't know which breaker goes there cut the main.
SleepyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

A good electrician will cost you around $65 an hour which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new house, hospital stay, burial, etc. I sincerely doubt that there is any 120/240 volt AC circuits running around an F-16 - probably 24 volt DC at max. The best way to get the folks on here to really help (as I have found out personally) is to post a clear picture with your question. And yes, I ended up calling an electrician myself even though the advice was great, it was beyond my capabilities. Call me chicken. Cluck Cluck
Bob1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Remind me not to take a ride on any F-16's .... Fighter jet technicians don't automatically qualify you for residential wiring repair.
Stubbie, You can't "go for a ride" in a F-16 they only have one seat so you'd have to fly it but UAW members don't make good pilots.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Electrician

The first thought that came into my head was "How could your wife reach the switch in your son's room from the kitchen", but then I figured that might be bit rude to say.

Your wife was lucky that she didn't actually electrocute herself, which is the act of dying from electric shock. It's certainly a grave possibility even in the situation she was in. Some people get immune to this because they get shocked a few times and think it's only a little bit of pain, but it could easily be a rather ugly death.

At this point no one knows what wire does what. If you take a picture of the box and wiring and explain what was changed int he picture, we could probably help.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Stubbie, You can't "go for a ride" in a F-16 they only have one seat so you'd have to fly it but UAW members don't make good pilots.
By golly your right, if it was a Cessna 172 or rotary wing I'd be fine .. well probably most friendly fixed wing single engines anyway. My first solo cross country was in Germany from Hanau to Wurm. That was a story ... my instructor John Van Kleif .. didn't tell me that it was a uncontrolled tower. So I spent several minutes in the pattern talking to no one. Finally landing and finding out I didn't have enough money to pay the landing fee....... They finally took what I had and said something about a dumb American.

Being a crew chief on a AH-1G Cobra at the time with many hours of front seat 'stick' time I have often wondered what being a jet jockey would be like. I probably would kill myself but I sure would like to give an F-16 a try.....

Stubbie
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Stubbie, when were in Hanau?
I lived in Bad Neuhiem(spelling) and Freidburg from 72-74
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Stubbie, when were in Hanau?
I lived in Bad Neuhiem(spelling) and Freidburg from 72-74
Wow small world ..I was there at the same time period 72-74.

I was actually stationed with the 3/12 Air Cav 3rd Armor in a small village named Budingen. That's just northeast of Hanau. It is abandoned now.

Isn't Bad Neuhiem where Elvis Presley was stationed? I flew into there on many occassions .. I wouldn't be surprised if we met.

Stubbie
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Yep, that was were Elvis lived, he was stationed in Friedburg.
I garduated from Frankfurt Americian high school in 74.

I went to school with kids from Budigen and Hanau.
We played football and we had 14 people on our team.
When Hanau showed up to play, they had 2 buses, one for the players and one for the cheerleaders, and this was youth football.

We had a 5 day dorm and a 7 day dorm.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Look familiar ? Click on the right hand photo then click again to enlarge. If you use the top of the photo for North scroll to the east and find the 2 swimming pools. Just north of those you will see a heliport with what might be OH-58 Kiowas parked ...kinda tough to see them or even if it is still an army airfield.. That's where we flew into the AIG offices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Nauheim

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-11-2010 at 02:18 PM.