Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

Why is wiring technology so far behind?

Hi, I have a question that will probably seem stupid, but I'll ask it anyway. Why is wiring technology in 2007 very similar to what it was 50 years ago? I'm talking mainly about connecting Romex wires together for junction boxes and fixtures. Instead of twisting wire pairs together and capping them with a wire nut (1950's technology?) why doesn't the electrical industry have a standard set of connectors for 120 V, 15-20 amp connections? Something similar to USB connectors on computers, only designed for the currents, wire sizes, and voltages common to household loads? Is this just job security for electricians, or is there a technical reaon why this has not happend?

Thanks,
Arn

Arndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Yes, it's job security. We conspire to make things more expensive for regular folks and intentionally curtail technology.

We have a secret meeting the third Thursday of every month at the Water Buffalo Lodge. You're not invited.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Agent 000

Arn, you can pick on any industry you want and the answer will still be the same; it's all about the cost of doing business. There are special electrical connectors and devices available to "plug" wiring together. They are primarily used in manufacturing industries. It's not practical for in house wiring because it is expensive and labor intensive to install, especially when you are not doing it in a mass production mode. When you compete on a job for business, unless it is stipulated in the wiring specifications, then you use standard, conventional and code approved methods to perform the task or else your guys get to sit on the bench not making any money. Put yourself in the homeowner's shoes... do you want it done in an hour with a few 15 cent wirenuts or will you take it in a couple of hours with the 10 dollar connectors? I can assure you that the electricians or contractors for that matter, are not impeding the evolvement of wiring technology. If the electrical component manufacturers had any inkling that something could be improved upon they would be spitting out new products like there was no tomorrow. So maybe this is your calling... you can come up with the next gee-wiz thing for residential wiring installation.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
I have gas!

I here that wireless electrical systems have been invented but electricians colluded to cover up the technology.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I here that wireless electrical systems have been invented but electricians colluded to cover up the technology.
Easy Speedy you'll blow a fuse
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Shhhhhhhhh! I was the one to mastermind that.
Don't tell anyone.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #7

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses, and I appreciate the humor. I was not knocking electricians or electrical contractors. They provide an extremely valuable service that requires a lot of skill, knowledge and experience. I also realize that innovation in any industry is generally based on profit margins. I would happily pay $2 or 3$ more for a lighting fixture or junction box that made the installation easier, safer and more efficient. Apparently, most people won't. So I guess I can look forward to another 50 years of twisting those wires together.
Arndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

We have a secret meeting the third Thursday of every month at the Water Buffalo Lodge. You're not invited.

Speedy, don't forget - It's your turn to make the coffee this month.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arndavis View Post
Gentlemen, thanks for your responses, and I appreciate the humor. I was not knocking electricians or electrical contractors. They provide an extremely valuable service that requires a lot of skill, knowledge and experience. I also realize that innovation in any industry is generally based on profit margins. I would happily pay $2 or 3$ more for a lighting fixture or junction box that made the installation easier, safer and more efficient. Apparently, most people won't. So I guess I can look forward to another 50 years of twisting those wires together.
Has there been that much innovation since circuit breakers and push in connections (that apparently aren't that reliable)?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #10

You really can't compare a low voltage USB computer connection to a permanent higher current connection for a light fixture. One is permanent and desigened for safety and long life, the other is designed for ease of use.

Being in the computer field - 90 % of failures are due to connections, but I've never had a failure on a properly connected wire nut. Of coures I wouln't want to wire nut my plug in memory stick every time I wanted to use it !
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #11

IMHO, I actually would debate the original premise that there haven't been any/much new developments in the last 50 years... Though I only have anecdotal data, but I'm thinking...

1) Fuses changed from the little glass screw in to the safer/easier to use stab-loc ones
2) GFCI outlets instead of those stupid outlets that can only power a razor in the bathroom
3) They tried the aluminum wire for a while and the was not very successfull
4) There have been some changes to the outlets/switches them selves with the strip and stab connections instead of the wrap around the screw pole

The example of finding a replacement for the marret is not really pratical to me. The little sucker works and is easy to take a part for wiring changes and doesn't "eat up" a tail piece is you had to cut short and re-strip the wire...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
Master Electrician

I think conductor insulation has certainly seen improvement.
Materials in general have been improving.
We have methods that have stood the test of time.
Methods that provide flexibility - the good ole' wirenut. Easy to add or remove a wire.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #13

Hows this?
http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...in/in-sure.jsp
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #14

Speaking of wiring...I just an ad in the Fort Worth newspaper about some new service that can inspect wiring through walls with some new infrared technology. The company was called CurrentSafe. Anybody know anything about them?
richkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #15

I found additional information about CurrentSAFE on their website: www.currentsafe.com

Check it out

SharonS is offline   Reply With Quote