Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Why, why, WHY!

My newly finished basement is just about done, and I never ran the cable line. What are some tricks and tools that can be helpful in running the wire into and through the wall? I can run it along the side of the house which, luckily, is the same side as the wall where I want it. Then I should be able to drill it low enough to get to the basement, and not have to go from the first floor to the basement. But I'd still have to find where it came in, above the top plate of my framing. Then run it down the wall.

nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Why, why, WHY!

First thing is to calm down. Of course this was a giant oversight, but not the end of the world.
Now, what do you mean by a cable line? The cable from the panel? We need specifics here. Please tell us what you mean.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,192

Why, why, WHY!

I think the OP wants a cable for a TV.
gregzoll (12-28-2011), J. V. (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,506

Why, why, WHY!

If you want it to come down the wall I think you are going to have to cut a hole in the drywall and patch it unless you have a dropped ceiling.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Why, why, WHY!

If you are skilled with a fische tape, or know someone that is, there are what's called flex bits which are typically 5' long drill bits with an auger tip. You can bend it through a cut in hole at the height that you want and drill the top plate. You could then push the wire from outside the house above the top plate and "snag" it and pull it down.

It takes a bit of experience though not to destroy your wall in the process, but it can be done.

2 people and a lot of patience you can fische wires through this issue.
lowvolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,230

Why, why, WHY!

Basement is finished, need CATV or Ethernet, but do not know if the walls are insulated, or what is up in the ceiling. Easy way is to use panduit and paint it the same color as the wall finish. From there, you have to figure how to get it upstairs, which may mean then cutting into the drywall to pull into the various rooms. This is why it should be planned into the beginning before even putting materials to the structure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Why, why, WHY!

is the tv going to be hooked to a cable box? if it is most cable boxes have an hdmi out and most newer tv's have hdmi plugs. they make a wireless hdmi transmitter. my wife wants to get one cause she doesnt like the cable box sitting by the tv. with the wireless we can put the cable box anywhere. they also have wireless cable transmitters for regular cable tv. most hd tv's are wireless capable for network connecting.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Why, why, WHY!

FYI - I had a recent bathroom remodel project which took me 2 years to complete. Everything under the sun interrupted my work on that project... But I was glad it took so long as I had plenty of time to think about adding this wire or that wire, a certain plumbing design, etc.

So I guess sometimes procrastination is a good thing!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #9

Why, why, WHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob
FYI - I had a recent bathroom remodel project which took me 2 years to complete. Everything under the sun interrupted my work on that project... But I was glad it took so long as I had plenty of time to think about adding this wire or that wire, a certain plumbing design, etc.

So I guess sometimes procrastination is a good thing!
I took you TWO years to decide where to put the wires????!!!! I wouldn't even call that procrastination!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Why, why, WHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
I took you TWO years to decide where to put the wires????!!!! I wouldn't even call that procrastination!
Actually I learned after about one year that some new toilets are electric or have seats which require a dedicated outlet. So I added an outlet for the toilet on its own circuit. I never would have thought of that had I finished the job quickly...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #11

Why, why, WHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob

Actually I learned after about one year that some new toilets are electric or have seats which require a dedicated outlet. So I added an outlet for the toilet on its own circuit. I never would have thought of that had I finished the job quickly...
I'm just teasing no need to answer
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 77

Why, why, WHY!

I'm trying to convince my wife that I am not a procrastinator just a big thinker. A slow, big thinker.

pokey is offline   Reply With Quote