Why Does Our Bath Fan Timer Keep Breaking? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

why does our bath fan timer keep breaking?

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help us solve this issue...

About a month ago we replaced the fan switch in our ensuite bathroom with a Lexicon 30 min timer. About 10 days later I noticed that it would not turn off. We replaced the switch with an identical one after someone at HD said it was likely just a defective one. The other day it happened again, but this time the timer will not turn on. The little green light is also off.

We would set the fan to 30 min prior to showering. The fan is 0.7 amps. It does not have a built-in light. The box holds the fan switch as well as switches for the shower and vanity lights. The lights are working. What would cause this problem?

I would really appreciate any troubleshooting advise you can provide.

Advertisement

abfab04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,506

Is it a Lexicon, or a Leviton ?
What is the model number ?

Advertisement

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Oops. Yes, it a Leviton. Model #LTB30-722.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,506

My guess is that it probably has something to do with the neutral wiring.
Did you wire it so that the line and load side neutrals are joined and the timer neutral joins them, or did you put the load side (fan) neutral directly to the timer neutral ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply Oso954. My father-in-law took a closer look and discovered that the switch is not broken afterall. Instead, it is connected to a switch in the dining room that must have accidentally been turned off. We just bought the house and assumed the switch had something to do with the furnace fan since it was labelled "ventilation fan".

I did some research and discovered that Ontario building code requires a main ventilation system. To comply builders will sometimes connect to the upstairs bath fan and add a switch near the thermostat. My understanding is that its supposed to be a 3-way switch, but ours is just a regular two-wire one. Now knowing this is there another approach we can take and still be compliant with the code? Ideally we would like to disconnect the bath fan from the dining room switch and remove the latter. We find our house is very dry (we are considering installing a humidifier to our furnace) so have little need to exhaust anything. We already have a kitchen range hood which we find sufficient.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to best proceed.
Thanks!!!