Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Why do I get a buzz when only one end of me is connected?

Hello. I hope that you are happy and well.

I moved from Western New York State down South, and am living in a rented house. I have a bunch of hi-fi and electric music and recording gear.

Down here whenever I touch anything that is plugged into the ac power, I get a tingle. I don't have to be connected to anything. Rubber-soled sneakers, ugly carpet, touch a mic or a guitar string, tingle. Some of the gear is two-wire, some two-with-ground. No matter. Touch anything, tingle.

It happens with everything down here. It didn't happen with anything back in New York.

I haven't been able to apprehend any explanations of this on the Web.

I can't say that I like it very much. Is there a cure? Especially a cure that I could talk a landlord into going for?

Thanks

PA

Pizza anyone? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Master Electrician

It's most likely a ground issue. You get the same phenomena when guitar amps in houses with no ground. Electronics, especially audio dislikes no ground.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza anyone? View Post

I moved from Western New York State down South, and am living in a rented house. I have a bunch of hi-fi and electric music and recording gear.

Down here whenever I touch anything that is plugged into the ac power, I get a tingle. I don't have to be connected to anything. Rubber-soled sneakers, ugly carpet, touch a mic or a guitar string, tingle. Some of the gear is two-wire, some two-with-ground. No matter. Touch anything, tingle.

It happens with everything down here. It didn't happen with anything back in New York.

I can't say that I like it very much. Is there a cure? Especially a cure that I could talk a landlord into going for?

Thanks

PA
see if you can get us a picture of your electric box and maybe some plugs .... may tell us something...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:

Thanks

PA
Two most likely possables are -

1 - There are some currents flowing in your earth line !

2 - Your system might not be earthed properly, or at all !

Without more details cant say for sure which one,
or it could be a combination of both.

A power outlet tester will tell you if you are earthed properly.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

I bought my wife a new ( pre - owned ) sewing machine at an auction for 8 bucks that had a 2 prong plug. Beautiful old machine in a nice cabinet. She had the nerve to complain that it was shocking her therefore she couldn't sew a straight stitch.

I measured the volts at about 8 and after conferring with my electrical son was advised to turn the plug over. The volts dropped to half the previous reading and now the seam in the butt of my britches looks better because she couldn't feel 4 volts unless she licked her fingers to thread the needle.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Ah new insite. Your house doesn't seam to be grounded properly. And your outlets are very out of date if you can turn the plug over and still plug it in
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
Ah new insite. Your house doesn't seam to be grounded properly. And your outlets are very out of date if you can turn the plug over and still plug it in
It isn't the house out of date but the sewing machine is.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Resi EC

Quote:

Thanks

PA
If we are guessing, I might say 'bootleg ground'.
A 'bootleg ground' is where someone jumped a wire from the neutral (white wire) side of receptacle to the green ground screw.

You could pull a receptacle that is showing grounding and check this.(turn power off first)
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

When Woodstock happened in 69, they had plenty of problems caused by poor electrical work. Shocks when touching equipment, hums abounded. Listen to some of the old recordings, and you will hear the hums load and clear. One in particular is Jimi Hendrix live at Woodstock. Gives a cool edge to the sound.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote