Why Did My Outlet Lose Power? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Why did my outlet lose power?

When my contractor tore out the tile in my kitchen he took the outlets out of the box (without disconnecting them). That should not have created a problem. However, I lost power in three outlets on the same wall. Two of them were not touched by the contractor. No breaker was tripped. He checked the panel and all breakers are okay. It is an older house and there are no GFI outlets. He said to hire an electrician to find the problem since he couldn't. Any Suggestions?

Advertisement

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

if there are any joints in the wires in the boxes he pulled the receptacles out, he may have cause the connection to open. I would start with turning off the breaker to those receptacles and remake the joints in the boxes, turn the breaker back on and check.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
chuckr (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I removed the outlet and checked the wire. No power.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have an open circuit, not sure how you are going to ensure the power is off to those circuit touched by the contractor, but what you are going to have to do is wire nut, black to black, white to white, upstream from the recepticles that are no longer powered.

Careful the first black wire in the chain will be hot!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,184

Do you know for certain which breaker the affected receptacles are on? If not, I would swich all of them off, and back on, one at a time, to be sure that you check the affected circuit. It is not terribly uncommon for a breaker to trip, and still not appear to be fully off.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
When my contractor tore out the tile in my kitchen he took the outlets out of the box (without disconnecting them). That should not have created a problem. However, I lost power in three outlets on the same wall. Two of them were not touched by the contractor. No breaker was tripped. He checked the panel and all breakers are okay. It is an older house and there are no GFI outlets. He said to hire an electrician to find the problem since he couldn't. Any Suggestions?
Are you sure there arenít any GFI outlets anywhere like out outdoors, garage, bathroom etc. On some rare occasions there are some on the exterior. Some where, one of those GFCI receptacles has tripped. I would start the search in the garage. 90% are there.

Advertisement

epson is online now   Reply With Quote