DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Whole house surge suppression question

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Winchester 
#1 ·
I'm planning on adding whole house surge suppression. The simplest to do is to use the Siemens QSA2020TVSS breaker in my Siemens main panel. This would simply replace two existing breakers. My other option is a hardwired unit mounted immediately adjacent to my panel. It requires that I connect its leads to two adjacent circuit breakers on my panel.

One of these product's installation manual stated that it was acceptable to place the TVSS lead in the same terminal screw with an existing load wire. That would mean two black wires coming out of the same breaker.

I've never before read anything that would allow two black wires connected to a breaker. Is there an exception in the NEC that allows a TVSS device to be connected to the load side of a breaker along with the load wire itself? If not, I'm limited to the QSA2020TVSS, because my panel is full.

Thanks.

P.S. If anyone has recommendations as to what is the best method / brand for whole house surge supression, feel free to share your knowledge :)

#2 ·
If the manufacturer of the breaker allows two wires under one screw, then you are ok. The best thing to do is bring a wire from each breaker, then wire nut the load, the tvss, and the breaker wire together.
Use two the two adjacent breakers as the instructions indicate.

#5 ·
I have a GE panel and installed the GE THSASURGE60 that I installed earlier this year. I did my homework and luckily found the TVSS at my local Lowes store.

The adjacent option as you mentioned and as I installed, I believe are considered to be a "Best" option over the "Better" option of the circuit breaker type (THQLSURGE) in the link provided above.

For the typical home, many experts recommend a minimum surge protection network consisting of:
  1. Service entrance surge protection device protecting the incoming electrical power line, incoming telephone line, and cable TV and satellite dish cable.

This can be done with a single surge protection device that is capable of protecting all types of incoming lines (electrical, telephone, cable TV, and satellite dish cable) or separate surge protection devices at each incoming line. Protection of the incoming electrical line can be located at the main electrical panel or electric meter.
  2. Point-of-use surge protection devices with a 330-volt clamping voltage at all expensive electronics and appliances, such as TVs, VCRs, stereos, and computers; all have electronic circuits which are susceptible to power surges.

Susceptible appliances can be identified because many times they have electronic push buttons, electronic clocks, or digital displays. If the appliance has other wires connected to it (such as telephone lines, cable TV cable, antenna cable, or satellite dish cable), those wires or cables must run through the point-of-use surge protection device as well to provide protection on all lines.
Best of luck :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.