Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Whole house standby generator - Generac vs. Milbank

Hi everybody. First-time poster here.

Am planning to install a whole-house standby generator for our new home in NW Ohio. Am the last residence on the service line and am fearing long-term outages. During construction we installed an automatic switch on the feed side of our 200A service, so we're 'set' from that standpoint. After reviewing generator costs and our load calculation, I've decided to install a 20kW natural gas generator, but am undecided on a manufacturer. My most local electrical supply house and contractor (sister companies) recommends Milbank generators (model MG20003). The next supplier and installer I trust recommends Generac (Model 5875). Does anyone have any opinions / experience with either of these models?

Thanks in advance for your input!
nwohioguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I have never heard of Milband gensets. I can't imagine they make their own. Just like Eaton's were re-badged Generacs.

If you have an auto switch your best bet is to stay with that brand. This is something you should have thought about when you bought the switch.
What brand is it?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

I have a Generac LP 7kw which I installed 3 years ago. I did use their 100A panel, which was supplied with the generator. Absolutely no problems. It runs once a week as an "exercise" and has worked flawlessly during outages, at least 6 in the last 3 years. It comes on in less than one minute and when it shuts off there is no power interruption.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Milbank does manufacturer their own. Here's their website : www.milbankpowergen.com/

The switch was manufactued by Generac. Though technically I see no reason the generator must match the auto switch.
nwohioguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Well, it seems the Milbank is a joint effort with Briggs and Stratton, just like the old Cutler-Hammer/Briggs units. I have had too many problems (with previous Cutler units) and have heard a few issues with the newer units that personally I would never get a B&S unit.

You have a Generac switch, Generac are fine units. I see no reason not to go with a Generac.
And no, the transfer switches are not typically universal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
brric (01-27-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

, they have a disclaimer that says other transfer switches may not be compatible.
My installer would only install the transfer switch that Generac recommended for that generator.
fdcapt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fdcapt50 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
registered

Listen to speedy
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (02-02-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Even over here in France we do have simauir issue as well when few peoples buy a new standby units and the issue is the transfer switch not all are compareable at all.

There are some specfic models of transfer switch will work properly with specfic generatours.

Merci,
Marc